Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a cat

(Monroe County)

Default Shooting a cat

Hi, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I have been looking for a while for laws regarding the shooting of cats. Our property is over run with strays. Some of the cats are pets of neighbors. They are killing all the rabbits and birds in sight. They are digging up my garden, pooping all over our equipment, and keeping me up at night fighting. Its time for them to go. None of them have collars. Any help? Thank you for your time!

Default Re: Shooting a cat

Sub Sonic .22's, thats all you need!

If it were me, I'd call animal control before taking that route.

(Monroe County)

Some of the cats are pets of neighbors.
    I would inform your neighbors that they need to collar their cats with tags attached, then you can clear out the extras. When the neighbors find out that you are clearing the herd they might just keep their kitties inside. Since these cats are destroying your property they are considered pests and can be disposed of.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    If it were me, I'd call animal control before taking that route.
    Ditto.

Imagine this: You shoot a cat, it sprints onto your neighbor's property and dies. The neighbors find the cat, complete with bullet holes. They call the police because someone shot their pet.

The news media picks up the police report and runs with the story since people love pets and get furious about people who shoot pets. Guns become the issue, so your township starts digging into ways to stop shooting in the township. All because of some stupid cats (and even more stupid cat owners).

Get the picture?

I'd try http://pawsofpa.org first...

I met a woman named Pat who lived in Lancaster city...in addition to taking in strays, she was also helping to trap alley/feral cats. The day I met her she was trapping in the Willow Street area, so it's not too far from you. I don't know if they can help, but its worth a phone call before going for the gun. I'd skip your name and the possibilty of shooting them, but that's just me!

I can't remember if they are a "take-away" group...some animal rescues deal with the feral issue by taking them, spay or neutering them and then set them back out again because the cats aren't adoptable and they won't gas them.

If not, well...good luck! There's always the SSS method (shoot, shovel, sshhh!)

Quote Originally Posted by summersux View Post
    Haha, im using cci velocitors. They work really well. We have enough room the noise isn't a problem. The neighbor is pissed however, she "lost" her 4th cat this year and asked if we know what happened to them. Just wandering if I can cover my butt if she can prove anything.
    You could always claim you didn't know since she doesn't have them tagged etc....but I still echo my above advice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Ditto.

Imagine this: You shoot a cat, it sprints onto your neighbor's property and dies. The neighbors find the cat, complete with bullet holes. They call the police because someone shot their pet.

The news media picks up the police report and runs with the story since people love pets and get furious about people who shoot pets. Guns become the issue, so your township starts digging into ways to stop shooting in the township. All because of some stupid cats (and even more stupid cat owners).

Get the picture?
    Yeah, this is kind of what im trying to avoid. I told them several times last year to keep their cats inside but it never helps. I didn't start shooting until they started after the rabits. My sisters pet was one of the fatalities. Plus, people see our farm and decied it must be a good place to drop off their pet.
    I heard that cats are concidered game in pa and can be harvested if there is no id on them. I was wandering if there was any truth to that.
    Thank you for the fast replies!

You can always call the game commission to verify that before proceeding.

(York County)

I'm gonna throw a twist in this one.

One of my neighbors always lets his dog run the neighborhood (residential). It's constantly in my backyard, digging under my shed, and shatting there for me to pick up. Repeated requests to the neighbor to leash the dog have been ignored, or replied to with "she only poops in her spot in my yard". The dog wears no collar.

Would I then be entitled to shoot it the next time it's leaving a doggie bomb in my yard?

note: I would NOT do that, just asking the rhetorical question

Do I call animal control and have to deal with the pi$$ed neighbor if they managed to show up when doggie is out wandering and actually did something about it?

Yeah, I know it's not exactly the same as the cats above, but just curious what your thoughts may be.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast