Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Buying an AR in Pittsburgh

Well, I ended up buying a Romanian AK-74 in 5.45x39. Now I'm looking for an AR. As much as I'd love a .308, I'll avoid it due to the cost of rounds and availability (yeah, I know...the AK will be fun to find rounds for as well). So what I'm looking for is an accurate AR. I carried an M4 for about 9 months and an M16A4 With 203 for about 3 months overseas. I like the M4's size, but may want to go with more of a varminter style setup. I like the look of the round front stocks and a bull barrell. Where are goodplaces to go around PIttsburgh that have a decent selection (each one I've been to has had one M4)? I want to get an idea what I want, and then order it myself and save money on the assembly. I'm thinking RRA, DPMS, or Bushmaster. Comments and suggestions?

So why the AK74? I hear it's a devastating round, BUT that ammo is drying up, so please buy as much of it as you can right now...the price is going through the roof...even on the 7.62x39 ammo.

I have a few ARs...not sure if you saw the one I have posted for sale. If you want just a basic AR rifle you can buy them for 650-700 range...AR's are great because there are so many options for that platform. I recently picked up a 20" upper in a trade...I haven't fired it, but I heard it's a keeper. If you decide to "build" your own you save 11% excise tax. Building can mean building from the ground up on stripped upper and lowers or it can mean attaching a complete upper to a complete lower, which doesn't require any tools. If you need help deciding...let me know and I'll give you my suggestions. RRA had some QC, but seem to be back on track...Love Bushmaster, DPMS....not impressed with Colt or Armalite. Take my opinions for what it's worth.

(Westmoreland County)

Try these guys.

http://www.padefense.com/

They carry RRA and LMT. They'll build whatever you want or you can buy parts from them.

(Westmoreland County)

Well, I just bought a bushmaster m4A3 off of a guy for $750. Came with a dozed or so mags and maybe 500 rounds. I can't believe you don't need to do anything to transfer one of these things. Asked the guy at TNT and he said that there was no paperwork necessary. I just happened to be in there looking at a new one for $1k when they guy walked in wanting a price on his. I'm psyched! I've got some problems with the wife now, argh. I'll have to be on good behavior for a while.

Only advice I can offer is...take it easy on buying...you can get carried away rather quickly...plus you don't want to get into a huge arguement with the misses over it...buying firearms is a lot of fun...for me finding a great price is half the fun. I am sure that you will enjoy the AR platform...I find it to be great because of all the options available. Plus now that you have a lower...you can just buy more uppers instead of a complete rifle.

If the rifle is not FF (free floated) I would highly recommend you get it floated...will improve your accuracy more than any other modification you can make on the rifle. The PRS stock from Magpul is also nice as well. Triggers...I'd say RRA NM...Jewell if you want go to all out on a trigger. Ammo, I would highly recommend the black Hills line...blue box is cheaper and is just as accurate as the red (new ammo). Mags...D&H or CProducts or the ones that DSGArms sells with the Magpul Gen 2 followers.

(Allegheny County)

i got my DPMS at the "Army & Navy Store" in latrobe. not exactly pittsburgh, but not too far. the guy who runs the store seems like a cool guy.

they have a lot of stuff listed on gunsamerica.com:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?uid=7245373861

i don't see the one i bought from them listed on their gunsamerica store. it's a DPMS; 16" chro-moly barrel; permanent carry handle; A1 sights; 6 position collapsible stock; came with 2 30 round mags, a cleaning kit, and a hardshell case.

iirc, i paid around a little over $800 out the door (in person at the store, not via gunsamerica.com...though i found out about the store via gunsamerica.com).

(Allegheny County)

I think Firearms Unlimited in Bridgeville has a lot of AR's on the rack.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Only advice I can offer is...take it easy on buying...you can get carried away rather quickly...
    I completely agree. I just bought 2 rifles in about a week, spent over a thousand bucks, and I'm already thinking about other guns. I need to cool down and start enjoying the ones I have now. I'd love to go for a free floating upper...but I have to wait a while before I can do anything else gun related to save my marriage I showed the M4 to my wife today and she was pretty cool with it. It's now my birthday present which is fine with me.

(Beaver County)

Federal Firearms which is near Bridgeville has a good selection of guns and they're pretty good on prices. John Brown's Armory in Rochester (Beaver County) always has a bunch of new AR's and AK's in stock. Lots of stuff on the used rack too, including usually several AR's. Firearms Unlimited usually has good stuff in stock, but it has been my experience with them that they aren't the best on prices. Service there has also been less than enthusiastic the times I have shopped. Groundhog Arms and Ammo and Mahoning Valley Mill, both in Punxsutawney, have good prices.

(Allegheny County)

does anyone have directions or a website or phone number for John Brown's Armory and/or Federal Firearms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast