Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fishing regulation questions

i just bought my 09 fishing liscense and i always just assumed that i could fish anytime in 2009 just i could only keep the certain fish durring there season. i just want to know if i am correct or wrong. apparently i was just told that i cant fish in this certain stream because it is a trout stocked stream and that means i cant fish it till opening day of trout. so does that mean i cant fish in bass waters till opening day of bass season.... i never heard of this before i always just fished catch and release and never had any problems.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: fishing regulation questions

There are certain streams where technically, you are not to fish until the designated season starts, even catch/release. Would you get cited for doing so??????

Something I learned 2 yrs ago, there are certain sections of a stream where only artificial lures are allowed.

Check out this site:
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/mpag1.htm
    Lots of info there....

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by xXWildPonyXx View Post
    i just bought my 09 fishing liscense and i always just assumed that i could fish anytime in 2009 just i could only keep the certain fish durring there season. i just want to know if i am correct or wrong. apparently i was just told that i cant fish in this certain stream because it is a trout stocked stream and that means i cant fish it till opening day of trout. so does that mean i cant fish in bass waters till opening day of bass season.... i never heard of this before i always just fished catch and release and never had any problems.
    Its confusing as hell and you can be sure if you don't follow the rules you'll get busted

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/...outwaters.html

These waters are closed to all fishing (including taking of minnows) from March 1 to 8 a.m. on the opening day of the trout season. Some of these waters have been included in the Early Season Trout-Stocked Waters Program and are open from March 1 through March 31. A person shall be deemed to be fishing if he or she has in possession any fishing line, rod, or other device that can be used for fishing while on or in any water or on the banks within 25 feet of any water where fishing is prohibited.
    and I think this may be what you are looking for in relation to all other

Bass-Lakes
    Largemouth, smallmouth and spotted

Additional regulations may apply-see Big Bass regulations
    Jan. 1 through April 17 and Nov. 1 through Dec. 31 15 inches 4 (combined species)
    April 18 through June 12 NO HARVEST - catch and immediate release only (no tournaments permitted)
    June 13 through Oct. 31 12 inches 6 (combined species)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    There are certain streams where technically, you are not to fish until the designated season starts, even catch/release. Would you get cited for doing so??????

Something I learned 2 yrs ago, there are certain sections of a stream where only artificial lures are allowed.

Check out this site:
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/mpag1.htm
    Lots of info there....
    Trout stream's get REALLY confusing

Fly-Fishing Only, no-live bait, open fishing, restricted fishing, distance limits where fishing is permitted and then no longer allowed...

really the best bet is before you go to a stream look up the rules on that stream and then print them out and take them with you because its very difficult to remember all the rules
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

It does get confusing sometimes. I usually stay away from approved trout streams until a day or 2 after the opening anyways. I keep my copy of the rule book in the side pocket of my tackle bag at all times this way you can check what the rules and regs are for a certain area

(Schuylkill County)

The fishing regulations can be very tricky. Make sure you read through the Handbook and go on the website. They have interactive maps that can show you what sections of streams have each designation. The Approved Trout Waters are streams and lakes that get stocked with fish. The Handbook says when the season starts and ends on these sections of streams. Then there are Special Regulation Areas, such as Delayed Harvest - Artificial Lure Only and C&R Fly-Fishing Only. These areas are also stocked with trout but you cannot keep them until later in the season. But since they are C&R you can fish them year round. You have to watch yourself because alot of these areas butt up against one another and you could find yourself out of the Special Regulation Area and into Approved Trout Waters and that means a fine. If you do some research in your area, you can find places to go whenever you get the itch to fish. I live near New Ringgold and the Little Schuylkill River has sections of Approved Trout Waters, Special Regulations and areas that are neither but have trout. I'm like you and basically always C&R so I dont worry too much as long as I stay away from the Approved Trout Waters.

As far as bass season goes, I hear on other forums about guys bass-fishing year round also. Again, I dont keep em so I dont really look for the season to start. But again there is a tricky point. Don't quote me on this and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that even if you are not fishing for trout but are fishing for another species in a body of water that is stocked with trout, you need a Trout Stamp to be legal.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fazer6PA View Post
    Don't quote me on this and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that even if you are not fishing for trout but are fishing for another species in a body of water that is stocked with trout, you need a Trout Stamp to be legal.
    You are correct. This is what I've been told by the fish police for years. I'm friends with one of the commissioners and he has told me the same.

gues i will go get a trout stamp and fish lakes until opening day of trout season. not a big deal i guess. i should be able to catch and release all year long and the regulations should be for if i want to keep the fish but oh well

ive got a job to survey out near lake marburg in hanover. so i will fish after im done hopefully i dont get into trouble.....
    Last edited by xXWildPonyXx; March 18th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

(Berks County)

You can fish in bass waters for other species, just don't be using bass baits.....

Use smaller lures for panfish, etc. If you get caught deliberately fishing with large baits for bass, then you will get in trouble.

what about this?

Bass-Lakes
    Largemouth, smallmouth and spotted

Additional regulations may apply-see Big Bass regulations
    Jan. 1 through April 17 and Nov. 1 through Dec. 31 15 inches 4 (combined species)
    April 18 through June 12 NO HARVEST - catch and immediate release only (no tournaments permitted)
    June 13 through Oct. 31 12 inches 6 (combined species)

look like all year long you can fish for bass just during April 18 through June 12 NO HARVEST so catch and release.

dont worry i didnt catch anything i had 1 rod sitting and i was playing with some of my bass lures with the other rod not a nibble on either. but i did upgrade and got a trout stamp just to cover my self a little more. trout taste good too :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast