Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Where is the regulation that says you can't recreational shoot on State Game lands?

Outside hunting season, what says you can't drop some steel on a pole line and shoot in state game lands? I'm stationed in Colorado now and there are plenty of national forests to shoot in. I got to looking and never found anything saying you couldn't in PA, but I've heard it's a no-no. With the lack of 300+ yard ranges...there's plenty of nice places to shoot out past 1k yds in Game lands. Anyone know?

CMS

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Where is the regulation that says you can't recreational shoot on State Game land

Here's what I could find on a quick Google of "state game land regulations".

State game lands are public hunting grounds and lawful hunt-
    ing and trapping are permitted during open seasons. To enable the
    Commission to effectively manage and protect these invaluable
    land holdings for this and future generations of hunters, trappers
    and wildlife enthusiasts, the following activities are prohibited:

Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows, or devices capable of
    launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons
    or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities.
    • Except as provided on established shooting ranges, discharge any
    firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles
    that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife. Shoot clay birds
    anywhere except areas designated by the Executive Director by signs
    stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Where is the regulation that says you can't recreational shoot on State Game land

Title 34

Sec. 2507. Restrictions on shooting.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

(2) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random in the general direction of any game or wildlife not plainly visible for the purpose of routing or frightening them.

(3) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random or in any other manner contrary to this section.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

(1) The discharge of any firearm for the sole purpose of signaling for aid or assistance while in distress.

(2) The use of rifle, pistol or archery ranges owned, leased or maintained by a State or Federal military or police organization or by any regularly organized rifle, pistol, shotgun or archery range, shooting association or club while shooting at a regularly established and properly safeguarded range or to any public shooting exhibition properly safeguarded and conducted under the direction of any organization for the promotion of marksmanship.

(3) The discharge of a muzzle-loading firearm at a proper target for the purpose of safe transportation of the muzzle-loaded firearm.

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

(Allegheny County)

hmmm...

what's their definition of shooting "at random"? my understanding is that shooting at a target is not shooting "at random".

so, the way i read that, you actually could set up a target and shoot outside of big game season.

is that correct? i always thought not. is there some other statute that applies?

ETA: ok, after actually reading the whole thing , i see in an exception where it appears to make target shooting illegal except within 200 feet of your camp/etc.

this is kinda interesting, though. the portion that actually defines the crime, does not, outside of big game season, define target shooting as a crime. however, an exception to that law does. so, you have an exception to a crime that does not apply defining a second crime that does apply...sort of an incedental law. strange way to construct a law.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 18th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
    F*S=k

i skeet shoot at the SGL in jefferson all year long and never have a problem. have even had GW's come down and chat with us/take a shot or two with out SG's
    This Space For Rent

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the help guys. Either way I'm going to go do some shooting when it's time to move back to PA... Nobody is going to hear anything from very far using a can on the rifle and it's in the middle of nowhere anyhow. After I've hunted in a few other states now I really dislike the rules and regulations that the PGC has established. No hunting on Sunday. No target shooting in game lands when nothing is in season..... I'll be officially "coyote hunting" all summer then. Thanks guys.

On a side note...you can apply for a "special use permit". I doubt the chances are good but I'm going to try to send one in and see what they say.

CMS

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    i skeet shoot at the SGL in jefferson all year long and never have a problem. have even had GW's come down and chat with us/take a shot or two with out SG's
    Where is a SGL in Jefferson?

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Where is the regulation that says you can't recreational shoot on State Game land

Target shooting officer. Ummm, No...Didn't you see that coyote?? Man, it was huge! Damn, scope must be off...Well, maybe next time..So, whats this about target shooting...No, But I'll let ya know if I see anyone...I'm just going to continue coyote hunting, so if you don't mind......Have a nice day and be safe..

(Dauphin County)

i shoot on gamelands in the harrisburg area. you have to walk about 1/2 mile past the gate and there is a big field littered with clay pigeons. i shoot 22's back there and i've never had a problem. when i go i take a trash bag and clean up other peoples can's etc.

(Westmoreland County)

I spoke with a woman at the PGC by phone, and asked her about shotguns at SGL ranges. She said single projectiles only, no shotguns at any state ranges. How do people shoot clay pigeons there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast