Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default SHTF Preparedness

All too often we come on these gun boards and ask about guns and ammo supplies for the Zombie Apocalypse. While I think that everyone should own at least 1 shotgun, 1 handgun and 1 rifle and at least 500 rounds of ammo for each, we often ignore talking about financial preps.

I bring this up because last week I was laid off from my job of 11 years. There were 20 of us let go all together out of about 55 employees. I was not expecting this. I knew there would be lay offs coming but I didn’t think it would affect me directly. I made it through the layoffs in 2001 but not this time. They let go a few managers and divide our responsibilities between other managers with more seniority.

I will be okay because I try to live within my means. I have never in my 41 years needed to collect unemployment---so, that was a new experience. Plus, unemployment only covers about half of your normal wages and even less than half when they take out the taxes.

I’m not coming on here for sympathy. I will survive because I was prepared for this. I can survive over a year without working---not that I want to--but if push came to shove, I could. Now, the other thing to keep in mind is, I wont need to go grocery shopping for a long time because I have been stocking up on food too. I will need to get the occasional milk and bread but for the most part, I shouldn’t need to step into a grocery store for at least 6 mos.

So, I guess my point to this post is that while it’s fun talking about guns and ammo for SHTF, it is more likely that you will experience a financial SHTF before the Zombies come looking for you. So, I feel having extra cash (at least 6mos worth), food and living within your means to be the number one SHTF preps. You can’t eat extra guns and ammo nor can you pay your bills with them. Well, I guess you could sell them and make money but to me selling guns and ammo is kinda like selling off your kids.

So, before you go out and spend these extremely high prices on guns and ammo---or any other toys, think about how much money you have in the bank and how long you could survive without your regular pay check. Be prepared!!!

(Butler County)

Default Re: SHTF Preparedness

I know how you feel. Just got laid off last week. Signed up for unemployment that night online. Hoping it's just short term. You're right about being prepared.
    Guns and ammo are fine but you can't eat them. A 50 lb. bag of rice is good but it won't stop a home invader. And neither one will pay the electric bill.
    On the good side, I've got a lot of work done around the house and yard with LOTS more to do.

(Centre County)

Default Re: SHTF Preparedness

Guns4Fun,
    I'm sorry to hear about this man, that really sucks! As much as it sucks, instead of getting on here and bitching about how you didn't deserve to be laid off or how you got F'd by the man you've taken a sour situation and turned it into a learning experience for others. MAD PROPS!
    You have SO many good points about being able to be self sufficient when needed, it is a lesson we could all learn.
    Best of luck with the job search when you start it!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]