Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Forgot how much I enjoy shooting a Bolt action

Being a nice day and Nascar running last night I spent the day squeezing the trigger. I will not tell you how long it has been you would be ashamed of me for not shooting over that period of time. 20 rounds down range and the rhythm came back like riding a bicycle. So now I plan on spending at least a few hours one day a week enjoying myself. Got a nice sunburn to show for my time outside.
    The biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed shooting my Blaser LRS2 300 Winchester Magnum again. So this week I plan on doing a lot of reloading.
    It's nice to be the boss, so the employees will just have to put up with me hiding in my office. At least I'll be out of their hair most of the time.
    You see I keep my Dillon 550 in my office.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Forgot how much I enjoy shooting a Bolt action

I got out today too. Test fired a small 22 that I just fixed for a friend. Phoenix Arms, inexpensive little pistol, but would keep all rounds in the X and 10 ring of a B-27 target at 7 yds. He carries it for protection although he finally agreed that he probably should carry something with a little more umpf. Also test fired a Rock Island Armory GI 45. Shot very well considering it has basically original style GI sights. Shot a little right of center and grouped 8 rounds into 3 inches at 7 yds. I will probably drift the rear sight a little left and see what happens.

Then went home and did some yard work.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I've been having a great time with my Swiss K31. I shoot 4" groups with open sights at 200 yds with it (on sandbags). Today, I also took to the range my .22 magnum bolt, and this ancient single-shot .22 Stevens 53B with aperture sights. I was shootng 10mm groups at 25yds with the Stevens and it made me think of my varsity rifle team days. It brought a tear to my eye; then I beat the crap out of my HK P7M8.

Bolt actions are my favorite type of rifle. Easy to operate, keeps you from shooting 5000 rds in 30 mins, easier to clean, less moving parts. I got a 22 mag bolt action, my first gun. Wish she was a single shot sometimes even. Its been a while since I been shooting too. Glad you enjoyed your evening!

(Wayne County)

I recently dragged out my Marlin 781 my late big brother got me many Christmas's ago.....I forgot how much fun that rifle was, and how much fun I had with it. Not to mention it was very accurate and had a good trigger. Almost 30 years later it still puts a big smile on my face.

The other bolt action I love is a Remington 03A3 I got from CMP. My favorite military bolt action.

(Berks County)

With the price of ammo going up and up, my "going nuts" shoots of thousands of rounds are going to be a once a year affair I think.

I too have been getting to know my bolt actions a bit more closely, especially my Mausers (98's and variants). Very fun to sit back and plink away, getting to know what each rifle can do, and weed out which ammo your baby doesn't and does like the best.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer