Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help With Saiga 7.62x39 Not Firing

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle that is not firing properly. When I received it I was told that is was not cycling. I figured that had to be one of a few things, a clogged gas chamber hole, a stiff spring, bad ammo, or the mag. I broke it down and cleaned everything up, cleared the gas chamber hole. I oiled it up and brought it out to shoot and found that it is cycling, meaning that it is chambering the next round, What's happening is the action is not locking the hammer back after the round is fired. If you draw the action by hand, it will fire. What I'm figuring is causing this is that the action isn't sliding back far enough after fired. Does anyone have any idea's what may cause this or how to fix it?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need Help With Saiga 7.62x39 Not Firing

It is still short stroking. If the action being cycled manually, and assuming it also holds - (hammer doesn't follow the carrier forward) then it is probably still a problem with the gas system.

There is an off chance that the side rails are too low, causing the bolt to run into the hammer more than it should, dumping excessive momentum in the process not allowing the hammer to cock properly after being fired.

Is it rough going over the hammer or hang up anywhere?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It is still short stroking. If the action being cycled manually, and assuming it also holds - (hammer doesn't follow the carrier forward) then it is probably still a problem with the gas system.

There is an off chance that the side rails are too low, causing the bolt to run into the hammer more than it should, dumping excessive momentum in the process not allowing the hammer to cock properly after being fired.

Is it rough going over the hammer or hang up anywhere?
    I would have to agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Granted I am no expert at determining this, but to me it does not seem that it is rough going over the hammer and I don't believe I've had any hanging up's at all.

I have handled a few other Saiga 7.62's and they didn't seem any different when drawing the action manually.

Now if it is the gas system causing this, where do I start in terms of troubleshooting how to fix it? I have been looking online and cant seem to find much.

Oh, and thanks for your help by the way. I really appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not 100% sure how to proceed from this point either. I would make certain the gas hole in the barrel is free of obstruction. (Probably by removing the gas tube and piston and going through it with a paper clip until I could see it in the barrel - looking through that with a light.) Then I could physically say the gas tube is free of obstruction. And move to the next possibility. Which could possibly be a canted gas tube partially obstructing the gas hole. This you might be able to rule out during the previous as well.

After that I would try different ammo and a different magazine. Just to be absolutely certain nothing was hanging up on anything there either.

Then I would check the ejector to make sure it cleanly passes through the bolt, and that the extractor releases the shell appropriately when the ejector hits the shell.

Problems in all these small areas while seemingly unrelated *can* slow the rearward momentum down enough to keep it from cocking the hammer.

I would also - just for absolute certainty check the engagement of the disconnector and the hammer. If the surfaces catching the hammer are worn sometimes it might just be letting go. Also check the disconnector spring to be certain it has adequate force to resist being kicked aside by a rushing bolt and hammer, then staying down. (Missing the hammer) I would take the cover off and cycle the action rough. And make certain it still catches the hammer. Then do it with the trigger held down. (Unloaded rifle PLEASE!) And make sure it captures the hammer on the second hook. Release the trigger and see if it engages the primary hook. If all this is ok then it is not a disconnector problem.

Sometimes my hammer will follow my bolt carrier down if I'm too lazy letting go of the trigger or during rapid fire and I do something odd like half hold a trigger etc. I can't even simulate it if I tried, but occassionally it happens - and i have to cycle the bolt again, and it ejects a live (unfired) round.

(Montgomery County)

i had a similar problem once and was very confused. i finally realised that one of the hooks that keeps the trigger in place slid partially off the group. pushed it back over and it worked.

Alright! With your help I think I've figured out the problem. I already have cleaned out the gas chamber hole awhile back, just the way you described. So I went ahead and drew the hammer rough, and it captures the hammer on the primary hook. When holding the trigger and drawing the action, it is being captured on the secondary hook BUT when I release the trigger it is not sliding from the secondary hook and engaging to the primary hammer. It is staying hooked to the secondary unless I snap the trigger.

Now what I'm thinking may be causing this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is there is not enough pressure created from the spring that goes from the hammer to the trigger assembly. I'm having a hard time finding the technical names for the parts so bare with me.

If it is that, then maybe it will need a new spring, or just to douse oil all over where the hammer is locking into the secondary hook? Or even run a file along there enough so that it will slide off the secondary hook easier when the trigger is released?

Please tell me what do you think.

(Montgomery County)

push the hook over ...sounds like it fell out of place

piucs would be helpful

senorlinc,
    Could you explain what you mean a little more. I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "one of the hooks that keeps the trigger in place slid partially off the group. pushed it back over and it worked." Are you talking about the ends of the hammer spring that loop around at the trigger group? If thats the case then I don't think thats it because they are both hooked still. If that's not what you mean then let me know too.

When you say push the hook over which direction as I'm looking down it from the butt of the gun? The secondary hook is fitted inside a grove where it's seated so it dosnt seem out of place to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast