Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default cabela in hamburg not OC friendly.

i went in tonight to sell one of my guns. when i told the girl at firearms desk what i wanted to do and i was wearing 2 of my guns on my concealed she quickly said i have to exit the store and unload the gun i want to trade in and bring it back in . she then said only concealed guns are allowed loaded in the store. so i went out and did that and came back in and asked if its cabelas policy to not let ppl open carry and she said yes only concealed carry is allowed in the store. i said ok and left. didnt have any problems or anything but this is the first time i heard this from this place..

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: cabela in hamburg not OC friendly.

The employee was mistaken. She isn't the first and won't be the last.
    Cabelas corp policy allows OC. Been checked and re-checked and posted many times.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I've been there at least 10 times in the last 3 months, OC'ing every time. Not one employee has ever said a word about it. Everyone is very used to it at this point. I see other people OC'ing there half the time also.

Who ever it was that told you that was either new or making up her own rules. I remember one of the greeters saying that the first time he saw someone OC'ing, he went to the front desk to ask what he should do and they told him to do nothing, as it was OK per the store manager.

(Berks County)

dunno. it was a younger girl at the firearms checkout.. i suppose she was making her own rules. could have been a scene if i was to have challenged so i didnt bother tonight

OC at cabelas is ok, if you are going to trade a gun, you might want to clear it, before going in......

(Berks County)

ya i actually wasnt trading it in i was private trransferring it to a friend but that was ok .. i was just wondering about her sayin only concealed was allowed

(Northampton County)

So let me get this straight... you take a loaded gun to Cabela's in order to sell it to someone, and you have at least one other gun on your person... and the unreasonable behavior here is on the part of the Cabela's employee who botches the company's OC policy?

*scratches head*
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
    i went in tonight to sell one of my guns. when i told the girl at firearms desk what i wanted to do and i was wearing 2 of my guns on my concealed she quickly said i have to exit the store and unload the gun i want to trade in and bring it back in . she then said only concealed guns are allowed loaded in the store. so i went out and did that and came back in and asked if its cabelas policy to not let ppl open carry and she said yes only concealed carry is allowed in the store. i said ok and left. didnt have any problems or anything but this is the first time i heard this from this place..
    All you need to do if you encounter a person who is not acquainted with their policy is refer them to their own front door. It has a big sign on it. Beyond that many of us openly carry in there on a regular basis. I have spoken with the manager on this myself.

BUT...

You were taking a LOADED gun to trade!?! Does that not strike you as just a little unsafe? Cabela's has a very firm policy of not wanting their customers to be shot by someone twirling a loaded gun around. And being one of those customers, I think it is an especially good one. Loaded guns are for staying in holsters, or at the range, unless you are confronted by a bad guy. This rates right up there with the cops who insist on unholstering a gun so they can unload it for their safety. What about the safety of everyone else in the room, including themselves? Ask yourself, do you want to be the person who causes a lot of trouble for all the rest of us because you had a negligent discharge while trying to sell your loaded gun?

(York County)

You probably would have had no problems carrying. The chances of having to pull your weapon are pretty damn slim.
    But carrying a loaded gun you knew would be handled by at least three people (you, the store employee handling the paperwork and the person buying the gun) was pretty stupid...even if you had intended to clear it. Accidents and ND's do happen during clearing...rare, but they do happen.

In the case you describe, I think the girl was 100% correct in telling you to leave the building to unload the firearm.

As far as the OC aspect, that could have been easily resolved by asking her to check with her manager and probably not even have to leave the store.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    So let me get this straight... you take a loaded gun to Cabela's in order to sell it to someone, and you have at least one other gun on your person... and the unreasonable behavior here is on the part of the Cabela's employee who botches the company's OC policy?

*scratches head*
    I feel the same way. I also see this all the time in my shop. Not a good practice. People have to handle the gun when you bring it in to transfer. Having a loaded gun passed around is a bad idea guys. And not once has a customer told me the gun was loaded until after it was in my hand and I had already checked it.
    It does increase the chance of a ND. And in a store full of people that would be bad for us good for the anti's. Use your head a little for something other than a hat holder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast