Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Gander Mountain-->Firearm Must be checked in!

I went to Gander Mountain in Dickson City today to look for a new holster that fits my 1911. Well I walked in carrying the blue case which it was in, and I was told to stop. The people at the counter said they had to check the firearm. Well I humored this, and I knew it was unloaded. So they opened the case and racked the slide to make sure, and made sure there was no mag in the weapon. Then closed the case and zip tied the case closed. They asked me what I was getting done to the weapon. I told them I needed it to fit a holster. They told me the employee would undo the zip tie in the back for me. (they had nothing I was looking for....) I asked the manager (i guess) what this was all about, he said, "They don't want anyone walking around in the store with open weapons." So I left. Did anyone else have this happen to them, this is the first time there I can recall this happening.

The reason why I humored this request is because I was already carrying another. Don't ask Don't tell.

Default Re: Gander Mountain-->Firearm Must be checked in!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBarren View Post
    I went to Gander Mountain in Dickson City today to look for a new holster that fits my 1911. Well I walked in carrying the blue case which it was in, and I was told to stop. The people at the counter said they had to check the firearm. Well I humored this, and I knew it was unloaded. So they opened the case and racked the slide to make sure, and made sure there was no mag in the weapon. Then closed the case and zip tied the case closed. They asked me what I was getting done to the weapon. I told them I needed it to fit a holster. They told me the employee would undo the zip tie in the back for me. (they had nothing I was looking for....) I asked the manager (i guess) what this was all about, he said, "They don't want anyone walking around in the store with open weapons." So I left. Did anyone else have this happen to them, this is the first time there I can recall this happening.

The reason why I humored this request is because I was already carrying another. Don't ask Don't tell.
    If it is in a cse, they want to check it.

If it's in a holster, they don't check them

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Gander Mountain-->Firearm Must be checked in!

Happens everywhere....Cabelas, Gander Mt. and Bass Pro shops..
    I took in my sons Cricket (Bass Pro) to find a scope mount, they wanted to see the gun. They checked for ammo and zipped it..I too was carrying. Did you know that Bass Pro doesn't allow OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post
    Happens everywhere....Cabelas, Gander Mt. and Bass Pro shops..
    I took in my sons Cricket (Bass Pro) to find a scope mount, they wanted to see the gun. They checked for ammo and zipped it..I too was carrying. Did you know that Bass Pro doesn't allow OC?

Thanks for the tip.
    One more place I will not visit.

... Did you know that Bass Pro doesn't allow OC?
    That's why I go to Cabelas!! That, and they are only 20 minutes away from me.

Even Cabelas, as others have said, want you to check in any gun you are having repaired or appraised. And when you buy one, they have to carry it out of the store for you. It is their policy and I don't bitch about it because they have no problem with me, or anyone else (legally) carrying O/C or C/C. It is a fair trade off. They allow me to protect myself and my familly, and I give them my business.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBarren View Post

There's a sign on at the front doors stating the policy (should be on all stores, but yours could be the exception). In a nutshell, people carrying in a holster don't need to check their guns, guns not carried on your person or guns coming in for work/trade/sell etc... need to be checked in at the front.

(Franklin County)

Did you know that Bass Pro doesn't allow OC?
    I'm not sure if that is corporate policy or not, but I do know the one at Harrisburg East Mall doesn't permit CC either...of course, what they don't know....
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Gander Mountain-->Firearm Must be checked in!

I visit the Bass Pro at Harrisburg mall, I have no problem CC...Don't ask, don't tell....But one time I did have the XD visable and the guy at the turnstyles told me to cover or leave...We left!

(Mercer County)

It was my understanding (the last time I was at GM) that you need to check all firearms, unless you hold an LTCF. At least that is what I recall the sign saying.

So if you walk to GM while OCing, you'd still have to check it at the front desk (according to the sign).

I had to wait forever to check mine in when holster shopping...the customer service desk was the only cash register, so it was sloooooooooow. When she opened the case, she asked if it was loaded - I said no - so she closed the case. She didn't even rack it.

Thank goodness they didn't zip tie it. That policy is so insane I would have left.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    It was my understanding (the last time I was at GM) that you need to check all firearms, unless you hold an LTCF. At least that is what I recall the sign saying.

So if you walk to GM while OCing, you'd still have to check it at the front desk (according to the sign).

I had to wait forever to check mine in when holster shopping...the customer service desk was the only cash register, so it was sloooooooooow. When she opened the case, she asked if it was loaded - I said no - so she closed the case. She didn't even rack it.

Thank goodness they didn't zip tie it. That policy is so insane I would have left.
    I OC'ed at GM near West Mifflin, no one noticed. Hell with checking in, I'm not relinquishing my weapon. Clerk didn't say anything either when I tried out an IWB or two, and then proceeded to load it and keep on carrying.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast