Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question questions about the SKS

hey guys, i have a question about the russian SKS. Im generally new to war rifles, and last weekend i went to a gun show that was going on by the philadelphia airport. Well long story short, they had these military surplus norinco SKS rifle's, still in the creates covered in that protective jelly, well they were selling them for only 100 each! i know its a old rifle however i think it has a charm to it. but, i wanted to do a lil reading up on them before i get one. I understand there will be some heavy cleaning if i do get one at the next show, has anyone ever baught a SKS from a show in that condition outa the create? is there anything i should look out for, particular to that rifle? i just figured it would be a nice easy and slow project to take it apart and put it back together and to have a bit of history in my collection. any comments?is it worth just paying that extra money and get one already re-worked?
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Northumberland County)

Two things, First those that are still in the crate selling for around $100 are not Russian nor are they likely Norinco(chinese) Most likely they are Yugos.

The SKS is a great weapon, however there are issues that you must be aware of. First, like you said the initial cleaning of the cosmo is a pain. Second there are MANY legal issues involved with these rifles, without significant changes you cannot install a detachable mag or pistol grip or folding stock.

If you want more details go to www.sksboards.com there is tons of info there.

(Bucks County)

nah, im not looking to customize it, the standard mag is fine, i was just interested in just for a hobbie project, try to restore one, is it legal in pa if i make no mods to it and just clean it up? its there any quarks to the rifle?
    Drak

(Northumberland County)

All SKS' are legal in PA, it is federal law you must be careful with if you Mod them. Cleaning up and restoring the finish will not cause you any legal issues.

The only issues I know of are if you don't clean the bolt properly, you can get slamfires (AKA going full auto) and sometimes you can end up with a leaky gas system that will turn it into a bolt rifle... Those are the two main issues.

Make sure you clean that bolt thoroughly!!

(Bucks County)

hahah yeah, i was sooo tempted at getting one, but my wife woulda killed me if i came home with a rifle, because i promised her i wouldnt and i was just going to look around lol! but yeah look slike a fun project, is there any special substance you use to get the cosmo off, of just alot of Hoppes or Breakfree cleaner? i also read a post on here about someone baking off the cosmo?
    Drak

(Potter County)

Good ol' Zippo lighter fluid is hard to beat for the initial cosmo cleaning, I've done several that way, doesn't hurt the finish and seems to work the quickest. WD-40 is a good second choice. Please be sure to clean the bolt extremely well to prevent slam fires. The firing pin must move freely when you shake the bolt. Second most important is the gas piston and tube, for proper cycling of the rifle.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Sks

That's a good price if its a un issued yugo. I got mine for $170
    The way I cleaned it was with turpentine.soaked the bolt Assembly for 2 days.
    On the wood i used go jo hand cleaner. Then after it dried (the wood) I wiped it down with baby oil. I think cleaning it is half the fun.

pic after cleaned up.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9-6000_IMG.jpg

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, I almost get a YUGO too. They had some for $89.

They all looked extremely beat up though. I know these are old rifles, so they wont be brand new, but some of those looked like they'd fall appart in your hands just by picking it up.

Definitely not safe to shoot unless checked by a GunSmith IMHO.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

nah dude they were old, but i would say they were falling apart, they were just very greesy with cosmo and alot of the buts had cracks in them, i mean if the entire thing can be disasembled and cleaned with no rust anywere, i dont think it needs a gunsmith. but then again can others correct me?
    Drak

I agree with Drew...if you find a Russian or Norinco SKS you will not be paying $100...if you do find Russians or Noricons for that price you better buy everyone they are selling. Even at $100 for a Yugo isn't a bad price. Tapco.com has new stocks for the SKS...I was thinking about buying a stock and a beater SKS. The SKS I have is rare and I'm not going to make any changes to it. I dig the SKS and it's more accurate than AK's...but doesn't have those hi cap mags...I know there are after market "duck bill" mags, but they are junk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast