Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Holster recommendation for pistol class

I am taking basic tactical handgun class at FIRE Institute and I need a good holster for my XD 45. I don't want a bad holster choice to hold me back from learning. What should I get. And Pete and Tony, I'd love to hear from you.
    I vote the second first

(Adams County)

Default Re: Holster recommendation for pistol class

IMHO, If you are taking a class for the weapon that you are carrying on a daily basis, I'd carry the holster that you are using on a daily basis. Build and reinforce that muscle memory.

If you don't have a holster yet, and this is a SHOOTING class, where the gun will be in and out of the holster ALOT, a good polymer, OWB, open-topped holster would be my first choice.

Default Re: Holster recommendation for pistol class

Good advice from BigBear about using what you carry in, on a daily basis. But if that's not the case, a good quality OWB holster should suffice. A tried and proven design (one made by most holster makers) is the one designed by Bruce Nelson. Bianchi calls it the Askins Avenger, Sparks the BN55. It consists of a belt tunnel on the back and a belt slot behind the trigger guard to pull in the butt. Don't know how much time you have, but I just had one of these made by ROG holsters. He is a hobbyist and only makes limited designs (one of them being the Bruce Nelson) for limited guns, RH only, black only. All that being said, I was amazed at the quality of the holster I received from him. I have Sparks, Kramer, El Paso etc and this is second to none. Best of all, it was inexpensive - $45 all in, and, for a holstermaker, relatively fast (about 4 to 5 weeks from order placement to finding it in my mailbox). Nice guy to deal with, very responsive. BTW, I have no vested interest in this recommendation, just thought I'd pass along a great product by a nice guy. The link below takes you directly to the XD OWB page.

http://rogholsters.com/bh2.sa.html

Adios,

Pizza Bob