Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Big Brother In the Sky Above Venezuela

This is just too Orwellian for me. And the only thing more strange is that people are OK with it, unless they're just saying that because they don't want to be on record as opposing the government.

You wanna reduce crime? Allow every non-criminal their right to defend themselves, and watch how crime plummets...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6576413.stm

Officials in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, are taking to the air in an attempt to make the city safer.

The council has bought three mini remote-controlled airships which are soon to be launched to look down on the city monitoring criminal activity.

Each has a camera mounted on it, which beams back pictures to a control room.

The Venezuelan capital is regarded as one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America, with gun crime a particular problem.

There were a few strange looks skywards in Caracas as the new mini Zeppelin took to the skies.

Steered by remote control from the ground, the balloon ducked and dived above the buildings, its pilot showing how manoeuvrable the machine can be.

Presidential plan

The 15 metre (49 foot) long air ships are emblazoned with government slogans. Written in bright red are the words: "We watch over you for your security."

Some might worry that this will be intrusive - a big brother in the skies, spying on people the government wants to watch.

But the man in charge of security in Caracas, Ramon Morales Rossi, played down that idea.

"Our intention is to reduce criminal activity in the city, that's a big problem, something the presidency has recognised," he said.

"It's part of a plan - working with the people, better education, better police officers and better equipment for the police."

Security, or the lack of it, is a big concern for many here. Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.

The government has stopped publishing crime figures, but last year the UN said that per capita there were more deaths from guns than anywhere else in the world.

Working under the gaze of the balloon, the people I spoke to backed this up.

"It's good that there's a greater police presence. It's indispensable. Where's there no police presence, there's no security," said one. "Obviously I think this is the right thing to do. But we need as much security on the ground as in the air."

The eyes in the sky will be controlled from a new base that is being kitted out in the city centre.

Most Caracas residents agree something needs to be done to make the city safer. As they are watched, they will be watching too to see if these hi-tech machines make any difference to their lives.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: Big Brother In the Sky Above Venezuela

And this surprises you how? They have re-elected(yeah, right!) an admitted communist who firmly believes that his government can do no wrong and to prove the point the legislature has appointed him president for life.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    And this surprises you how? They have re-elected(yeah, right!) an admitted communist who firmly believes that his government can do no wrong and to prove the point the legislature has appointed him president for life.
    Didn't say I was surprised, I'm not surprised at all. Just said it was too Orwellian for me. What would surprise me is if this country is NOT full-blown Communist in the next 5 years.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Didn't say I was surprised, I'm not surprised at all. Just said it was too Orwellian for me. What would surprise me is if this country is NOT full-blown Communist in the next 5 years.
    More like in the next five minutes!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

This is the future... for all nations.

Ever seen Minority Report? Get it and watch it, but don't watch it for the movie's sake - see it for the eye dazzling special effects, but more importantly for the Orwellian style future the creaters imagined. In there, every cop has access to what we would now call a UGV (Unmanned Ground Vehicle), and they have the right to search your house immediately, without warrant.

Want to put yourself in tinfoil-hat mode? Read a book called spychips (clicky). It details how the RFID technology to track you already exists and the plans have already been laid by the government to utilize it. Lol I'm not hungry anymore....
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Allegheny County)

this will be coming to america soon enough.

you already are on camera walking around most major cities.

you already are on camera driving on many interstates.

big brother isn't coming. he is here.

(Lebanon County)

With all the red light cameras, highway cameras, cell phone cameras and all the other surveillance devices around, I always assume I'm being monitored anytime I'm out of the house. And maybe the house isn't all that safe either!