Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Custom Holster worth the $$$$

With winter coming to an end and summer really just around the corner, my thoughts have been centered on the Harrisburg Rally and how I plan to carry this summer.

Last year I spent a fair amount of time just wearing a Serpa and mostly OC'ing. This year due to conditions at work and my home life I have chosen to cover up most of the time. (Different topic we can discuss @ Hburg)

Serpa's are not really the best way to hide something. So I have given thought to purchasing a new holster. I do have a leather Cowtown hoster but to put it bluntly it sucks. I can't stand wearing it for long periods of time and it really doesn't do a better job of hiding anything. I really do like Kydex but I kinda think that leather can do a better job of snugging the gun in nice and tight, but I can't prove that, nor do I have first hand knowledge.

Currently Randy (Handgunners of Topton), is giving my 1911 the kind of trigger I prefer. I only did this because I got hurt at work and could not use my right hand. (Another topic) All I have now or could carry is my Beretta. Funny thing is I don't have a holster for it. With both of these factors playing into my everyday life I thought I could try something different. I went mexican style with the 92 for a week.

I cannot express how much that sucked. I do not really like IWB carry at all but without any holster of any quality I really hate it. I made do with what I had to work with but I just don't like IWB. OWB is going to be my holster option but which one?

Recently I ordered my gf a Crossbreed quick clip. She is still wating to pick her gun up but she loves the holster. I am surprised how well the holster is made and how comfortable it is. This got me thinking about custom leather.

Besides the CBQC I have never bought a custom holster and I am wondering if they are really worth the extra money if they are not in a specific application. Galco, Desantis, and Safariland all seem to make decent holsters but what makes a Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Mernickle or Kramer holster any better?

I need a holster for a 5 inch 1911 with a half length rail. Must be an open top and have some sort of band to keep it open for reholstering.

here are some that I like...

The Safariland ALS looks really actractive but I have never seen one in person and can't quite tell from the pictures if they conceal any better than a serpa.

Raven Concealment makes an interesting holster that looks like it can hide a full sized gun with relative ease. Really though for $65 you only get two pieces of kydex riveted together, worth it?

Mernickle has a medium rise holster that looks nice. Any experience with this company?

Mitch Rosen 5jr looks like it puts the gun in a great posistion for ease of draw and all day carry. But $140???

Milt Sparks 55BN is another beautiful holster with a long legacy of durability.

Does anybody have any holsters from these companies? Can you explain what makes them better than comercial holsters?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Custom Holster worth the $$$$

The higher the quality of the holster the better it will hold up over time, and IMO thats what you're paying for. Milt Sparks, etc.

When you go with DeSantis and SafariLand you're getting production line holsters that are not crap, but they just IMO don't hold up as well after every day use as a top brand would. My friend bought a DeSantis for his ruger less than a year ago and it's already beat to hell, flimsy, floppy, he doesn't even like wear the damn thing anymore.

Overall I think every holster does the same exact thing for each style, owb, iwb, iwb tuck. Each holster is going to perform in the same efficiency range +/- a few points. I think the real issue is durability over time, which you won't get from production holsters IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Clarion County)

Yes,I beleive a good gun is worth the a good holster, plus the saftey factor.
    I would not carry any pistol with-out it ! Go for it .

(Mercer County)

Yes a custom holster is worth the $$$$ you invested. The custom holster maker will take to you and incorporate any changes that you have decided you cannot live without or make a holster to your specs. Also if call any of the top line custom holster makers you'll have in most cases a 4 to 6 month wait for your holster.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Berks County)

Minotaur MTAC.

/thread

(Lehigh County)

While I have no first hand experience with Crossbreed holsters, they do seem like the best of both worlds. Leather and Kydex. Last I looked at them the wait time was not excessive. As far as a custom holster I have had exprience with http://www.sideguardholsters.com At the time prices were cheaper but the turnaround was fast and quality was great. Eric is a good guy to work with.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    Mitch Rosen 5jr looks like it puts the gun in a great posistion for ease of draw and all day carry. But $140???
    Get the Express version of the holster. It's virtually just as good, and half the price, and they often have them in stock. I went that way, and it's an awesome holster.

Another option is to go to:

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

and click on <for sale> -- they often have 1911 holsters in stock.

Milt Sparks makes great holsters, though IWB is more their metier. Their OWBs are nice too. A 55BN is not really designed to optimize CCW, though; a pancake style OWB will conceal better.

A Kramer canted horsehide belt scabbard is made like iron. They're great for carrying heavy steel guns. They are pricey, though one will last forever:

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24

FIST is an excellent lower-cost alternative in the hand-made holster arena -- rather under-rated IMO:

www.fist-inc.com

There are also other one-man shops who put out a great product -- Bulman, Garrity's come to mind -- but I got tired of their schtick: they charge your CC up front, shine you on with an unrealistic delivery date, then next thing you know it's 9 months later and you have no holster and they're ducking your calls. From now on, I only deal with companies that a) have reliable delivery estimates, and b) charge the CC only when they're actually making your holster (usually right before delivery).

Does anybody have any holsters from these companies? Can you explain what makes them better than comercial holsters?
    I've gone through many such holsters -- hand-made allows for better material and firmness than mass-produced holsters. The holster retains its shape and structural integrity no matter what. Hold the Express 5JR alongside a similarly shaped Galco and you'll see right away. The Mitch Rosen holds the gun more firmly yet isn't grabby; the holster opening does not clamp shut when you cinch up your belt, or collapse when the gun is drawn.
    Last edited by dgg9; March 12th, 2009 at 09:22 AM.

(Cumberland County)

I definitely think a good leather holster is worth the dollars. My favorite at the moment is a Wild Bills Concelment OWB. I don't remember the model but it rides high and tight with a slight forward cant. I can wear it with just an untucked T-shirt and you will never know it. I just ordered a IWB from Blackhills Leather but I haven't received it yet. They have about a 6 week turnaround right now. It seems all the makers are currently backlogged. Good Luck.
    Yippie-Ky-Ay