Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default License to carry ?

i have a license to carry, my ? is i have moved since ive gotten it do i need to get my address changed on it, it doesnt say on the back like the pa drivers license does thanks in advance
    Springfield XDm 9 - Taurus PT 145 MILLENNIUM PRO

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: License to carry ?

Quote Originally Posted by dmd3058 View Post
    i have a license to carry, my ? is i have moved since ive gotten it do i need to get my address changed on it, it doesnt say on the back like the pa drivers license does thanks in advance
    Contact the sheriff department in the COUNTY that it was issued - that should be on the front.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties

No, you do not have to get your address changed on the LTCF until you go get it renewed...

There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.

ill be fine then my parents still live at that address so i will just wait till it needs renewed thats for the info
    Springfield XDm 9 - Taurus PT 145 MILLENNIUM PRO

Quote Originally Posted by dmd3058 View Post
    ill be fine then my parents still live at that address so i will just wait till it needs renewed thats for the info
    Just make sure that your parents understand that any letter from the Sheriff gets to you ASAP (most parents would notice a certified letter from the Sheriff anyway). You have a very short period of time to turn in your LTCF after a revocation, and a short period within which to file an appeal of the revocation. So waiting until Thanksgiving to pick up your mail would be bad.

(Lebanon County)

As GunLawyer001 said, it's not mandatory but it's definitely in your best interest to do so.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Indiana County)

As the others have said, there is no requirement to notify the issuing sheriff that you've moved. Your issued license is good until it expires. Therein lies the rub.

If you don't notify the sheriff that you've moved, then he/she won't be able to notify you, as required, that your license is about to expire.

Of course, if something really stupid happens and the sheriff has to notify you that your LTCF has been revoked, then he/she won't be able to notify you, as required, that your license is revoked. That won't stop it from actually being revoked, just that you won't be officially notified of such.

I hope that odds are greatly in your favor that the second paragraph applies, rather than the third.

Or, you could do nothing. After all, it's not required.