Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Semi or Pump for Self Defense

Well the title of this thread pretty much says it all. Do you think you should have a pump or a semi for self defense use. Be it in your house. Or out and about. Which one serves those that use it the best? What are the pros and cons?

I know the Rem. 870 has the best rep. But is anything else out there worth looking at? Any models you recommend staying away from?

Wouldn't semi be easier for the misses to use, or even the kids if it came to that?

Since it is for home defense too, and the family may have to use it one day when I'm not there. Is a 12 guage really the best choice?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Washington County)

Default Re: Semi or Pump for Self Defense

Just my 2 cents, if your kids have a potencial of opearting he gun, go w/ a 20 gauge, pump is easy, if a semi jam you might hav a clearing problem by other users. I have a pump 18" a old winchester I use, may loads start of with low brass bird shot and end with 00 and a slug. All in all both 12 and 20 are good choices

(Westmoreland County)

IMHO a semi will never be as reliable as a slide action when one factors in the flexibility of loads that the SG provides. If you limit your ammo selection to specific types, you limit the SG's flexibility.

In terms of women and children, SG's have a rather complex manual of arms with regard to manipulations. To operate an SG effectively in a self defense role takes quite a bit of dedication and practice. And they're by and large heavy compared to an AR or stamped AK.

(York County)

Just my 2 cents but I have found that sometimes just the sound of the pump shotgun racking is enough to diffuse a situation. At work I use the 870, very reliable, however a little hard to handle for those who are small of stature. For home I have a Mossberg 500 in 12ga with a folding stock.

(Allegheny County)

I use Mossberg 590 with a Surefire light. So, in my humble opinion, pump is the way to go! I'm very comfprtable with my 590 and know it inside and out, which is the most imprtant thing when you maybe force to use in in the dark and close quarters

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fordmech00 View Post
    Just my 2 cents but I have found that sometimes just the sound of the pump shotgun racking is enough to diffuse a situation. At work I use the 870, very reliable, however a little hard to handle for those who are small of stature. For home I have a Mossberg 500 in 12ga with a folding stock.
    He's right - you just can't deny the attention getting power of the "click-klack" of the slide.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLungMcClung View Post
    He's right - you just can't deny the attention getting power of the "click-klack" of the slide.
    Very true, but they would hear my first round before they would hear me reload, if they heard anything at all. LOL

(Bedford County)

I use a semi.

As far as "sound" goes...a semi auto also has a very loud and distint sound when the bolt travels forward into battery.

TonyF makes the best point so far.

A pump action shotgun is great because it will handle ULTRA light loads found in law enforcement shotgun ammo. Bean bag loads and tear gas loads come to mind. These low pressure rounds will not function in a semi auto most of the time.

Who here has tear gas or bean bag loads for home/property defense?

The general rule of thumb for defense is a very hi power bird shot round with large size shot...or some form of full house buckshot.

A semi auto shotgun that is built for defense will handle ANY 3 dram load of #9 shot up thru 00 buck and of course slugs.

For a LEO, the pump shotgun makes great sense...for combat or defense, a semi is just as good. I always laugh when people put down a semi auto combat shotgun, but those same people use the AR15 or AK47 rifle.

Maybe we should all switch to 7600 Remington pumps in .223 or .308?
    Last edited by BUCKMARK; April 20th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.

(Bucks County)

I too think Tony hit the nail on its head. Stick with the 870 and toss a 18" barrel on it. You may want to consider a 20 g. if the kids / misses are smaller.

(Schuylkill County)

i have an 870 and an 1100 both set up with an 18" barrel with open/cyl. chocke and they are great performers for home defense it really comes to personal preferance and what you are most comfortable with.... either would be a wise deccision.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast