Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Private Sale Online - Concerned about $ Exchange - Any suggestions

I may purchase a handgun from an out-of-state individual and am concearned about sending the money and actually getting the gun shipped. Can the sale be handled thru the FFL's? (ie: He consigns the gun to his dealer who transfers it to my dealer who then sells it to me. Or somehting like this since it has to go thru the FFL's anyway.) From what I've researched, most people send the money in good faith. Just want to know if anyone has a better process. Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Private Sale Online - Concerned about $ Exchange - Any suggestions

Send a USPS money order and you should be pretty secured. You can file mail fraud claim against the seller if he screwed you over and US Postal Inspection Service will investigate: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/radDocs/ps8165.pdf

Al

(Pike County)

Do as Al above said, but I would also add in registered return reciept mail to it. This way when the seller gets the postal money order (DONT do a western union money order) They have to sign saying THEY recieved it. Basically make a paper trail . Plus you can track it, not that the USPS tracking service is great BUT it will tell you when it was recieved/delivered.

If this was bought through gunbroker another reputable auction you should be fine.

By sending the money order, if the seller welches on the deal its mail fraud. you now have the govenment involved. The sellar has MORE to lose than you..

It is nereve racking, My last one was $1390 and sent to arizona..never even talked to the sellar but on e-mail .

If on a auction site did you check the sellers feedback??? Also check and see how many things they have posted for sale.

I guess in general, where did YOU find the firearm listed for sale. That would be a better question. If it was on craigslist or some paper classifieds, I would be carefull.
    BUT you can always ask them what dealer/FFL they are going to ship from and give them a call to make sure they are legit. Heck even do a little research before asking , see what dealers are in his area. match what he says to what you find.

Snert

(Centre County)

If your dealer will accept the shipment from the seller he (the seller) can send it directly to him (your dealer). You will then go to your dealer to do the paperwork (PICS and 4473), pay the transfer fee and take it home. If your dealer will not accept from a private party then the seller will have to work through his dealer to send it to your dealer.

Do as the others said, USPS MO, return receipt request with a tracking number. This does several things, it tells you when the someone at the mailing address received the money, and if you don't get the receipt and after a bit he says he never got it you can track it and it will also tell where it was last and if he received it. Also, ask him to send you the tracking number from whoever he uses to ship the gun so you can track its movement to your dealer.

99.9% of the time there is never a problem.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

I would not put too much faith in USPS money orders.
    I've been ripped off a couple times and filed the proper complaint/claim paperwork. The USPS was 100% worthless in investigating and getting back to me.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Delaware County)

Warning:
    I have a young friend (seller) who received too much money (via NON postal money order) in payment for an internet car sale. The buyer requested Western Union to get the "extra" cash back and was in a jam because "buyer" made a mistake.

My friend, who was happy to sell his car, sight unseen, had already depostited the money order. Two days later, he called Wachovia to make sure the money order had cleared ok and the bank said yes.

Based on the fact that the bank said it was good, my friend withdrew $2000 and wired via Western Union instant money back to the buyer.

Wachovia called two days later to tell my friend he was overdrawn because the $7000 money order had bounced. Please deposit money to cover your negative balance.

"But you said it was good!" didn't work. Wachovia said "oh, we give you a credit in advance for your deposit until we find out otherwise."

Well connected "Federal" friends used legal methods to get information from the ISP about the email addresses. The user had two addresses, one Yahoo here and one overseas. All he did was to hang out at the Western Union, get the cash and then disappear. Yes it was fraud but it was too small of a case to get anyones attention. The money is now overseas.

However, it is my impression that if my friend had used a United States Postal Money Order and had been a victim of fraud? The postal service mail fraud people who investigate this would been on this big time so as to protect the integrity of the postal money order.

(Delaware County)

Retraction?
    I don't think I had read PA Patriot's report yet when I typed my own. I have friends who have sworn by the US Postal money order but don't recall them having to find out.
    PA Patriot seems to have direct experience so it makes me wonder now my earlier comments and the USPO tracking down the bad guys. Sorry.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    Warning:
    I have a young friend (seller) who received too much money (via NON postal money order) in payment for an internet car sale. The buyer requested Western Union to get the "extra" cash back and was in a jam because "buyer" made a mistake..
    One of the oldest scams going.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    Warning:
    I have a young friend (seller) who received too much money (via NON postal money order) in payment for an internet car sale. The buyer requested Western Union to get the "extra" cash back and was in a jam because "buyer" made a mistake.

My friend, who was happy to sell his car, sight unseen, had already depostited the money order. Two days later, he called Wachovia to make sure the money order had cleared ok and the bank said yes.

Based on the fact that the bank said it was good, my friend withdrew $2000 and wired via Western Union instant money back to the buyer.

Wachovia called two days later to tell my friend he was overdrawn because the $7000 money order had bounced. Please deposit money to cover your negative balance.

"But you said it was good!" didn't work. Wachovia said "oh, we give you a credit in advance for your deposit until we find out otherwise."

Well connected "Federal" friends used legal methods to get information from the ISP about the email addresses. The user had two addresses, one Yahoo here and one overseas. All he did was to hang out at the Western Union, get the cash and then disappear. Yes it was fraud but it was too small of a case to get anyones attention. The money is now overseas.

However, it is my impression that if my friend had used a United States Postal Money Order and had been a victim of fraud? The postal service mail fraud people who investigate this would been on this big time so as to protect the integrity of the postal money order.

THis actually worked on SOMEONE!!!!!

Hello... I am a barrister from a far away country you have never been to. I have funds in the amount of Ridicoulous amounts for your and I to split.
    All I need from you to secure the transaction is 500.00 for funds transfer from my bank to yours.

What was your friends name again?

(Montgomery County)

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback.