Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Plastic short range ammo

Has anybody tried this stuff before?
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=502766
    My club membership is about to expire, I have some coupons to use up, and They're sold out of, or don't have any of the other stuff I was thinking of putting in my last guide order. I've been kinda curious about this short range stuff for cheap range fun. Anybody?

(Lawrence County)

Talking Re: Plastic short range ammo

A friend of mine bought the stuff to make some a while back. It was just a plastic "bullet" propelled by just a primer. I read somewhere these things are supposed to be accurate to something like 25 feet. We tried all sorts of combinations, (magnum primers, standard primers, long and short barrels, etc.) but we could never get them accurate enough to be worth any more than just the fun of trying to make it work.

I guess if they're selling them as "loaded" ammo, then maybe they will be better than what we made...

I don't think it would be good for actual practice with though. All they do is pop like a cap gun. No recoil, and the ones we made wouldn't cycle the action... Not verry realistic. But they do look like fun to try don't they!?!

But, if you got the extra cash, give them a try. I'll be watching for the You Tube video and range report!

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Plastic short range ammo

Thanks for the reply Jake.
    The part that gets me is the claim to be accurate to 320 yds. That seems a little too good for an 11 gr. plastic bullet.
    I'd be happy with 320 ft. since the longest range at the club is 100 yds.
    I guess I'll give 'em a try, and wait for the "don't waste your money, they're crap" after I put in the order.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    The part that gets me is the claim to be accurate to 320 yds. That seems a little too good for an 11 gr. plastic bullet.
    I was thinking that too. If they are accurate to 321 yds, then why are they called...
    .308 Short Range Practice Ammo, PRICED LOW!
    Odd choice of words for something that is supposed to be accurate to 320 yds!

I'm with you though. If I had the money, I'd buy them just to "play" with them!

And before anyone yells at me, I know we don't PLAY with guns, it's just a figure of speech!

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    I guess I'll give 'em a try, and wait for the "don't waste your money, they're crap" after I put in the order.
    Please revisit this thread and advise if they are anything of interest. With over 400 ft/lb, it would be worthy for home protection. I would keep the Remington 760 loaded with them. Effective for the vermin that visit the Barn.

Be safe (and love polymer).

Scott