Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Just for a second !

A post by Dane in the open carry section reminded me of something that happened to me several years ago. It is a reminder to always be prepared.

From another forum;

BIG dog, No gun

Postby kurt 10/22 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 pm
    While relaxing last night (sweat pants, t-shirt, bare feet) I remembered some papers I needed from my truck, so I just slipped on some shoes and ran out to get them. No need to take a weapon right, just be a second. While I'm standing outside the truck leaning in, I hear a deep growl behind me, I turn to see a large German shepherd, five feet away. I jump in truck, roll down window and yell at dog, dog doesn't seem impressed. I pull truck closer to door of house, and wait till I don't see dog, I run real fast to door. Three things bother me about this incident, 1. Lucky I was not out in open when the dog showed up, 2. Lucky it wasn't a bad guy, instead of bad dog. 3. If I had my weapon at the time 1 & 2 wouldn't bother me as much. I guess it shows what can happen when you least expect it, even if it's "just for a second"
    Will I really care if LE later catch the guy who killed me ?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Just for a second !

I was curious what you meant when you said that over in the other topic.

Glad you didn't get bitten, and really glad it wasn't a BG!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I used to have a different scenereo with the big dog/no gun. The dog was the OC. Thats what I thought this post would be about, some time in the past when you didn't have the gun and had to rely on the dog...
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Wayne County)

I've been approached by threatening dogs on three occaisions, one of which resulted in my being bitten (two dogs, one got my hand, the other flanked me and got me in the butt). I had a knife on me but never had the chance to pull it. Fortunately, they didn't press the attack.

Another event two years ago happened at my kids soccer practice. The house next to the soccer field has a rotweiler that likes to steal snacks and juice boxes from the kids while they practice. One of the players had a brother that was playing with the dog. The kid was making high pitched squealing and running back and forth. The dog was getting wound up and knocked the kid over. When I got up and ran toward them (with my hand on pistol) the dog had the kid's head in its mouth. When I yelled, the dog let go and ran away. The kid wasn't hurt but, the kid's mom looked at me like "what are getting so excited about?" Apparently, I was the only adult there that noticed and/or cared.

I personally love dogs and have owned one since I was about 4. With that said, I'm always cautious around dogs I don't know and I'm on "high alert" if I meet a stray in an area that you wouldn't expect to see a dog.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I forgot all about this till now. I once had to release the same German Shepherd twice from one of my fox traps. Neighbors dog that had been roaming. It was NOT very friendly about me tinkering with it's sore paw. I had my catchpole, same thing the animal control people use to hold a dog so it can be controlled but not get at you. However I had to get both feet on the trap to open it, and this means being right there with a sore paw on a not too happy dog of a large and protective breed. The first time wasn't too bad ( but was hairy anyway), but the 2nd time was terrible. The dog was really mouthy and "talky" and I had to make it cry in pain till it lost its spirit, while pinning its head and neck down the best I could. Sounded like I was torturing it or something. Finally it was submissive and shut up and I was able to quickly get my feet on the trap levers and push them down. When I released the catchpole loop, the dog took off and ran home. I've also had to release some other dogs from traps, but that 2nd time with that GS was the worst. PLEASE do not let your dogs roam! Traps aren't the only thing to worry about and are the least of the worries as the sore paw will heal in a few days. They can be hit by cars, or shot by farmers or hunters who see them running livestock or deer. And sometimes trappers have no choice but to shoot a mean dog caught in a trap. The only dog I could ever shoot is some mangey feral one, or the wild relative canis latrans.
    LOL, I am a woman...

I had a similar experience a few months ago. I remembered that I needed to mail a letter about 10 at night, and slipped on some beach shoes to walk down the driveway to my mailbox. Just as I stepped out from the carport, I also heard a deep growl, and when I turned to the right, there was a big pit bull bearing his teeth and growling at me from by my front step. Scared the %&%* out of me. I had no weapon, and not even decent shoes or boots to kick with. I yelled at him loudly and slapped the tailgate of my truck, he stood for a moment and then ran off. I have never gone outside at night again, without my .45 tucked into my belt. I figure I was lucky, and don't want to press it. It is a sad sinking feeling, when you are in a situation like that, and know you don't have options.

I had a friend who purchased a house within the Detroit city limits to 'fix up' and turn. [he got it cheaper than dirt, not to be confused with where he get's his ammo]

Anyway, he is in the backyard raking up the garbage and leafs and a guy walking a doberman comes up the alley behind the house.

The dog jumped the fence and was heading right for him in his own backyard.
    His reaction was to drop the dog in mid bound coming toward his face.

The guy ran off, came back with the cops within a few minutes.

He produced his paperwork on owning the house, CPL [concealed pistol lic. MI's name for a LTCF], etc..

Cops only question was "why did you shoot him 3 times" to which he replied "cause after that I realized it was costing me $2 every time I pulled the trigger"

All done and said, the cop informed the dog owner to remove the remains out of this mans yard, threatened him with a ticket for violating the leash laws.

It's a shame that it cost the animals life for the dog owner to learn his responsibility's.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt 10/22 View Post
    A post by Dane in the open carry section reminded me of something that happened to me several years ago. It is a reminder to always be prepared.

From another forum;

BIG dog, No gun

Postby kurt 10/22 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 pm
    While relaxing last night (sweat pants, t-shirt, bare feet) I remembered some papers I needed from my truck, so I just slipped on some shoes and ran out to get them. No need to take a weapon right, just be a second. While I'm standing outside the truck leaning in, I hear a deep growl behind me, I turn to see a large German shepherd, five feet away. I jump in truck, roll down window and yell at dog, dog doesn't seem impressed. I pull truck closer to door of house, and wait till I don't see dog, I run real fast to door. Three things bother me about this incident, 1. Lucky I was not out in open when the dog showed up, 2. Lucky it wasn't a bad guy, instead of bad dog. 3. If I had my weapon at the time 1 & 2 wouldn't bother me as much. I guess it shows what can happen when you least expect it, even if it's "just for a second"

No offense, but he had a good weapon at his disposal, and did not even think to use it...HIS TRUCK!!! An "oops...sorry, I did not mean to run over your loose dog that I did not see" goes over much better than shooting a dog in a residential area!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by shootnbuddy View Post
    No offense, but he had a good weapon at his disposal, and did not even think to use it...HIS TRUCK!!! An "oops...sorry, I did not mean to run over your loose dog that I did not see" goes over much better than shooting a dog in a residential area!
    Good point, but he had an even better weapon that never leaves us: our brain.

Even when we're not carrying a gun; when we engage our minds to the threat, one may find themselves surprised at what becomes a weapon when you need it to be.

-38SnubFan