Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default Barter & Guns & Finances

I would like your thoughts. I like to stay a head of trouble and trouble times.
    What should we do with our money.

In the sixties when I was in the military the US dollar was gold. Other countries/civilians wanted our green backs and traded them on the black market. In this instance if our economy had failed one would be better off with US dollars at home as everyone would be willing to take them. At that time, not that I totally understood it, the dollar was gold. If then was today, I would cash in my IRA's and bring the cash home. When/if the economy/banking system collapsed I would be able to purchase things with the cash as others would want it.

Today if the banking industry were to fail, including FDIC, I would imagine the government would keep on printing dollars and/or issue another type currency. Since dollars would be worthless, due to the abundance of them, there is no reason for me (IMHO) to take large sums of cash out of the bank. My guess is if we went to another currency the US Government would give us so much, of the new money, for our current bank deposits. If I take it out they may not replace cash I have at home or safe deposit box. If I knew I was going to lose it all I would give it to the church and be done, but I have a feeling if things get bad enough I will need what little I have to survive. The government only thinks it can take care of us and maybe they can. Lets see we will all have beans on Monday, rice on Tuesday. Need to see a doctor about prostrate cancer oh we can work you in in 2 years from now assuming the government feels I am not to old and sick to save.

Assuming my two thoughts have merit then what should I do with money. IMHO we would be going to the barter system at least for awhile. The money, if converted, would be worth less then we think it is today. So what should I purchase to give me the edge against all of this. I could purchase Euro or Yen but those countries arn't much better off then us as it relates to economy.

What will be the most sought after item guns or ammo or both. From looking at some of the websites I believe there will be ample ammo and the last gun show I was at makes me wonder who will want another gun. Is there something better other than food and water. I don't want to purchase Gold, why I don't know. Besides people may not want gold as there may not be a market.

Just rambling and thinking out loud.
    Last edited by doxie3; March 7th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Default Re: Barter & Guns & Finances

Gold

I don't want to purchase Gold, why I don't know. Besides people may not want gold as there may not be a market.
    Gold has had a market longer than, most anything else.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Franklin County)

I honestly do not see the point in seriously considering stockpiling weapons and ammo in anticipation of a Mad Max society. If you want to lay back a little extra because of possible bans coming...fine. Personally, if we ever get close to a situation like you seem to be anticipating, I expect to either be dead, or a political prisoner, long before I'm swapping bullets for bread.

You'd be better served learning and putting into practice food and water storage solutions that don't require electricity. This can payoff in any number of natural disaster scenarios that have nothing to do with a breakdown of our government/society.

If you're going to be paranoid about what's coming, do it in a well-rounded way. That's what I'm trying to do.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

stock piling guns and ammo for any sort of SHTF scenario is not the best idea.

Say the economy crashes, POTUS declares state of ememrgency and guns get confiscated. There goes your investment.

Say things get so bad, the currency collapses and we go to a barter system. Then we meet, and I'm willing to exchange you a bunch of food for a gun and some ammo. Everything goes well, until you turn around, and now you have a new hole in the back of your head, and I have a bunch of food, a gun, and some ammo minus one bullet. Not a good transaction for you.

If you currently have a boatload of money sitting at the bank, I'd say you diversify it. Put some percentage in gold, another percentage in long lasting foods, keep some cash around, and some other sorts of investments.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Adams County)

I don't have a boat load of money. I am retired and on disability, not SS disabiltiy. Your thoughts are like mine. If it all falls apart it won't matter because after a few magazines of 9mm's I won't be around to worry. If it doesn't get to that then I will just survive. We have always had extra food on hand but not a stash. Some water even just a case would be good to have. Water and a wood fire can make some good corn bread.. I was hoping someone would have some magical plan but there isn't any.

Do I think it call all come tumbling down. I sent 37 years in the bank and if there is a run on the banks nationwide I don't see how we get through it unless martial law. Just the trillions of debt worries me. How can we pay it back. Maybe I am just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by strickler613 View Post
    I don't have a boat load of money. I am retired and on disability, not SS disabiltiy. Your thoughts are like mine. If it all falls apart it won't matter because after a few magazines of 9mm's I won't be around to worry. If it doesn't get to that then I will just survive. We have always had extra food on hand but not a stash. Some water even just a case would be good to have. Water and a wood fire can make some good corn bread.. I was hoping someone would have some magical plan but there isn't any.

Do I think it call all come tumbling down. I sent 37 years in the bank and if there is a run on the banks nationwide I don't see how we get through it unless martial law. Just the trillions of debt worries me. How can we pay it back. Maybe I am just nuts.
    I honestly believe that what we're looking at is massive inflation, and a government without choices other than ordering citizens to obey & conform. They can't just add a trillion dollars to the money supply, we can't pay it back. Just do the math, a trillion dollars is over $3,000 for every man, woman and child in the USA, and only a fraction of the citizens are taxpayers (of course, corporations pay taxes, too, until they're nationalized or go bust.)

If the free market goes belly-up, and American cash becomes as worthless as Zimbabwean cash, then the government will be assigning citizens to work farms in exchange for vouchers. People have to eat, once Congress has destroyed the current system, then Congress will impose a replacement system ASAP to feed the hungry millions.

If the economic infrastructure dies (which could happen with as little effort as bombing the oil refineries, which would shut off gas and diesel and commuting and truck deliveries,) then I'd want to be the guy who could supply potable water. Trading guns and ammo will come back to bite you, but trading for clean, reliable drinking water is a living. Stock up on plastic barrels, water-collecting tarps, and charcoal.

Eventually, though, the government will seize all housing and re-assign it to the most needy, and you won't be taking your arsenal with you into your new government cubicle.

I'd rather face hordes of zombies instead of people from the government who are here to help. You're allowed to shoot the zombies.

(Armstrong County)

As Dave Ramsey says get out of debt as soon as you can. Put back at least $1000.00 for an emergency fund and enlarge it to 6 to 12 months salary.

We are using his total money make over to get completely debt free.
    You can listen to him online, XM or FoxNews
    We have also been working on the premise for the last 20yrs that something like an economic collapse could happen and have set up our farm to weather out such a storm.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Last edited by edstephan; March 7th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Adams County)

Having worked in banking, which doesn't mean I know more than anyone else, I and fellow workers all knew that we were sitting on a time bomb. The FDIC couldn't bail out banks with out governmnet assistance. When you lend and you give up one of the basic three "c's" of lending, credit, capacity, and collateral you are in big trouble. During the last say 7 years, just a guess, the industry gave loans to people who were not credit worty, financed at least 95% of the selling price and didn't have the income to repay. For all my 37 years in banking we would only ocassion give up a little on one of the three C's. At the end lending institutions were giving up all three. They did basically the same for business owners.

Forturnately I am out of debt, and have seen this coming. Now that it is here it looks differently. I didn't anticipate companies "to big to fail" or our need to prevent someone from losing a home they shouldn't have purchased. I didn't really see a one world government, one world religion or one world money system. I always new someday but not this quickly. It is like it is all a calculated move and we need pass this bill now. They meaning our congressman have to realize what they are doing is wrong. They have to want us to fail. It seems the only one not to big to fail is the USA.

And your right there is no way out as in the end the government will take care of us. It's a sad situation. I realize that there are things we can do short term like water and extra food but in the end the government makes everyone the same.