Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: ANY COLT DEFENDER OWNERS?

Thanks for the info.

Definitely something to consider.

The wife wants to get me a Kimber. but I don't know about spending the money

Have 2 Defenders and shot great. Very concealable also. Completed CWP course and CWP Instructors course with them..Always had officers models in 45 acp in past but I like the defender also. They are expensive now about 900.00

Just picked up my Custom Colt Defender from www.jojosgunworks.com

They are local to me and do incredible work! Jody out did himself on this one!

Before:

After:

Few More:

Great looking job on your Defender. Did you start off with a stock defender & have JoJo do the work or did you buy it already done from them?

Thanks

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by msparkz View Post
    Great looking job on your Defender. Did you start off with a stock defender & have JoJo do the work or did you buy it already done from them?

Thanks
    i was wondering the same thing, did they do the slide cuts or was it a new slide?

(Lackawanna County)

never had any problems with one of my defenders had 2 or 3 over the years...never put hundreds of rounds through any of them though. But with ANY 1911 with a short barrel there have been questions raised about them. But if you want a 1911 in any configuration I always recommend a Colt!

(York County)

I've had mine for over ten years(not exactly sure when I bought it, but it's older than my daughter-she's 9). It's my ccw. I've shot it quite a bit. It was very reliable, until 3 wks ago. I had a parts failure. I called Colt. The parts that failed are the same parts on the recall. My gun was actually an earlier model than the recall serial numbers specified. Colt sent me the parts anyway. Free of charge. I had them within 4 business days. Back up and banging fine now. I love the gun, and recommend them. These are machines and will have mechanical issues from time to time. I'm just glad it happened at the range and not in a much more important situation.

Quote Originally Posted by msparkz View Post

Thanks
    Bone Stock Defender. Jojos did ALL the work in house except the CEREKOTE which wa also done local and returned to Jody for reassembly!

I was shocked at how much better it came out then I expected!

I had some ideas about a slot cut "race gun" look he took it to a whole different level.

How about a custom made Holster?
    Last edited by Extreme Defender; February 1st, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

(Chester County)

An update on my post from 2+ years ago, where I said I loved my Defender, but for the fact that it puked brass straight back at my forehead:

Stay the hell away from them. In fact, most people should stay the hell away from any 1911 that's shorter than commander length, unless they're gluttons for punishment or simply don't care whether they have a gun that works 100% or not. Actually, after a world of 1911 experience in the past couple of years I, personally, won't buy or carry a 1911 under government length. I've had nothing -- and I mean nothing -- but a world of bad luck, irritation, and thousands of dollars pissed away trying to get them to run 100%. Factory guns, custom guns, $2k+ guns. With just the money I spent on ammo testing them AFTER spending money to have them gunsmithed over and over I could have had a 5" 1911 built from scratch by the best in the business and still had money left over. I've yet to own one under 5" that worked to the level I demand of a carry gun. They were all complete train wrecks on one level or another. Sure, some of them worked out of the box for a bit. But each and every one of them -- even with perfect maintenance -- choked eventually, and choked enough that I wasn't going to bet my life on them.

YMMV and all that, but personally, no fucking way am I carrying a 1911 that's less than 5". If I'm not carrying a full size, it'll be a Glock or a revolver.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Sorry to hear that!

I was concerned about the 3" but never fired a round as a stock gun so I can only speak for the gunsmithing at Jojos.

I did have a recall gun that did fail at the range. Colt replaced the failed piece the same day. (picked if up)

I have since gone with Wolff spring on the factory (revised) guide rod assembly and no issues after 500 rounds.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast