Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Insane electric bill?

Anyone else get an extremly high electric bill this month? My average is between 150 - 180. my power usage hasn't changed for the last 3 - 4 months and somehow this month I supposedly used an extra 1,000+ Kwh? WTF?

Just spoke with my parents and theirs was significantly higher as well. The price hasn't changed... but the usage is off the charts!

My average monthly usage is 1570 Kwh, My highest ever was 1750, this bill is for 2869.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Insane electric bill?

the past 2 months have been that way for me. last month my bill was over 350 my norm is 150-180 this month was 210.

I've read through the bill and the last 4 months have been estimated. Penelec said the reason for the estimated bills were "weather related". I guess that means they didn't actually read the meter. So of course they charge you for something they didn't do. I'm betting that my April or May bill will be insanely low.

There could also be a problem with the meter. That was my case for a while as something was wrong with the pan as found out with my personal electrician. I had the whole meter and pan replaced (my expense) and the bills were lower.

In September, I had a whole house surge protector put in. And YES it did lower my bills by at least $30.00 per month.

(Monroe County)

Just got off the phone with them... apparently its perfectly normal for my house, which has had NOTHING change in the last 2 years to go up and its okay because I have the "potential" to use 3000 KwH based on what I have in the house... forget that every single month its under 1600, forget that nothing has changed, none of that matters. "the meter can't be wrong of course, if it was it would slow down, it would never speed up and charge me more! It's not possible for it to increase usage" (exact quote from the rep I spoke with)

Last month was an "estimate" so best case scenario is the 1200+ Kwh could be split over 2 months... meaning I've only increased my power usage by 600 Kwh / Month (an increase of 30 - 40% over actual reading in January)...

Must be all those freezers I just hooked up to keep my house cool.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

They used to estimate my water bill... I never paid the estimate as the meter is right there to read.

It usually takes a call or two for them to adjust the bill and take off any fee's/penalty. But no way I give them extra money because they decided to guess my usage.

Now the water co has an RF meter and they drive by. Have not seen an estimated bill in about 2 years.

The gas meter is read. And I have not gotten an estimated bill for that in about 2 years... so they are pretty good at coming to look at it. Heck if they gave me a few $$ credit I'd hook it up to the DSL and let them see it whenever they wanted.

(Allegheny County)

With electric heat, two houses, a barn, and outbuildings on one account our bill is ALWAYS insane.

But it's legit

(Mercer County)

Just a guess...

- Darkest time of the year, so lights on more
    - Coldest time of the year, so you stay home more

And you didn't mention how your hot water heater, stove, dryer, or furnace are powered. If those are electric, and as cold as this winter has been, you may have your answer right there.

My new bill is sitting on the counter and now I am afraid to open it and to be honest I haven't seen a meter reading in so long I can remember!

Just wait until they pump the price up by 40% over the next few years

(Montgomery County)

When I was a youngin' my parents got a bill like that and they were totally stumped because it was read from the meter and everything.

Turns out while we were on vacation the jackasses next door decided to do some home improvement... using a long ass extension cord and plugging in to the external plug on OUR HOUSE.

Moral of the story: go yell at your neighbor cause he was probably stealing your power... shake him down for some cash or something. (I kid, I kid)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    There could also be a problem with the meter. That was my case for a while as something was wrong with the pan as found out with my personal electrician. I had the whole meter and pan replaced (my expense) and the bills were lower.
    My meter was broken for four years...I only paid the basic service charge no matter how much juice I used. I miss those days. lol.