Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So I shot a Sig P226 tonight...

My wife got the opportunity tonight to shoot a Sig P226 in 9mm. She's been on the fence about getting a full sized handgun for a while now. Up until now she's shot mostly .22lr pistols and rifles. She decided a couple of weeks ago that if she could find a pistol she liked, she'd get one for home defense and target shooting (maybe competition?). Well while at the range I figured since we had the ammo and the time, I may as well give it a try too.

In a nutshell - we both loved it.

So now we're looking to get the P226 in .22 and get the 9mm kit. Figure for the price of the .22 and the 9mm kit, it would be about the same as a brand new P226 in 9mm (maybe a few bucks more).

Anyone have any experience with the .22lr version of the P226? And do you thinks it's worth it to have both, or just get the 9mm?

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: So I shot a Sig P226 tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    My wife got the opportunity tonight to shoot a Sig P226 in 9mm. She's been on the fence about getting a full sized handgun for a while now. Up until now she's shot mostly .22lr pistols and rifles. She decided a couple of weeks ago that if she could find a pistol she liked, she'd get one for home defense and target shooting (maybe competition?). Well while at the range I figured since we had the ammo and the time, I may as well give it a try too.

In a nutshell - we both loved it.

So now we're looking to get the P226 in .22 and get the 9mm kit. Figure for the price of the .22 and the 9mm kit, it would be about the same as a brand new P226 in 9mm (maybe a few bucks more).

Anyone have any experience with the .22lr version of the P226? And do you thinks it's worth it to have both, or just get the 9mm?
    Just get the 9mm.

The P226 was my first handgun - ever. Mine is old and I covet my P226. In all these years, it has never failed. Not once. Thousands of rounds.

Buy quality and only cry once.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Delaware County)

Smile Re: So I shot a Sig P226 tonight...

And if you liked the P226 in 9mm?
    Don't put your hands around a P220 .45 unless you have money.
    Otherwise you will just end up with another case of "I want one."

(Delaware County)

Default Re: So I shot a Sig P226 tonight...

I know Sig makes a great pistol, but I'm just not fond on how they fit in my hands or how their triggers are....
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Glad you guys loved it. I concur and I have the 9mm 226 and the .22 conversion kit. The kit is costlier than it should be, but operates well enough.

While it's great being able to get cheap .22LR practice on my SSP 9mm platform, it's not all that valuable to me. Frankly, I'd rather dry fire and spend my range time pushing 9s through the tube.

With your girlfriend's affinity for .22, it might be worthwhile for you guys though.

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a 226-22 back in Nov. for around $500 total, this is the 2 step program pistol which entitles you to purchase a centerfire within 12 months for $400. This is a good combo for the money, but no one knows when their going to make available the centerfire conversion. The reason behind the 2 step program was back in early fall before the elections Sig Sauer Co. were slow on sales. Once they started selling the 220, 226. and 229 in 22 cal. in Nov. all hell broke lose on sales of centerfire pistols and they set a sales record in the month of Nov. I guess the election had alot to do with it and my guess is they will phase the 22's out. If you see one in 22 I would not hesitate to buy it.

(Centre County)

I wouldn't bother with their 22 kit. I hear many mixed opinion about them.
    I don't like that they don't lock slide on empty chamber.
    Plus they are about the same price as buying Sig Mosquito
    I love my 226, but if i want to shoot 22lr, I'd just get Mosquito
    Last edited by Mity2; March 5th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I wouldn't bother with their 22 kit. I hear many mixed opinion about them.
    I don't like that they don't lock slide on empty chamber.
    Plus they are about the same price as buying Sig Mosquito
    I love my 226, but if i want to shoot 22lr, I'd just get Mosquito
    We looked at a Mosquito about a year ago. She didn't really like the way it felt when she shot it. Not to mention I haven't heard or read many great things about the Mosquitos, in general. I have a couple of .22 pistols that she likes to shoot, but she just loves the feel of the P226.

This is a big step for my wife. Up until two years ago, she had zero interest in firearms. She wouldn't even be in the same room with a gun, let alone handle or shoot one (result of a childhood trauma). Then one day she decided it was time to get over her fears. She started with a .22 cal Henry lever action, then tried some .22 pistols, and then last year bought a .243 rifle. Last month she expressed an interest in learning to defend herself. Still, she loves her .22s. and the Sig w/ the 9mm conversion will give her the ability to plink and practice. That and once she makes up her mind, there's no changing it.

Besides, anything to get her out to the range is fine by me. Plus I get a new "toy" to play with, too. ;-)

(Allegheny County)

Get the 9, forget about the 22. Why are you bothering buying the 9 to shoot 22's out of? Shoot 22's out of another gun.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Get the 9, forget about the 22. Why are you bothering buying the 9 to shoot 22's out of? Shoot 22's out of another gun.
    A new Sig P226 in 9mm costs upwards of $900. You can get them for less, but if you look at GB they're not selling for much less than $800. The P226 in .22lr is around $500 on GB. The conversion kit to go to 9mm, .40, or 357 Sig is another $400. So for the price of a new Sig P226 in 9mm, I can get one that can shoot 9mm for defense or competition, and .22 for plinking or practice. Win/win.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast