Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: State Game Land shooting range. French Creek

ask them to show you a copy of said rules that state no pistols.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    ask them to show you a copy of said rules that state no pistols.
    I did. He gave me a link to their website, it lists all the parks with "shooting ranges". He said he wasn't sure on that area exactly since their office had a Lancaster ranger call me instead of one who deals over there directly. He just said "On our site, it has only rifle listed on it, no pistols, they used to before I know that, but now they don't have it listed...If its not listed on the site, they do not allow it."

(Somerset County)

So if I want to check the sights and practice with my Redhawk at 50 yds or a 100, I'm out of luck? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Strictly speaking, the way the website is written and using the PGC staff reasoning, you can't shoot a shotgun with slugs there either. It says designated rifle firing points and handgun points. Doesn't say anything about shotguns.

FWIW, I've never had a problem there with either the PGC or shooters. Well, there was the one guy that 'liked to load his wildcat hot' and used a hammer to open the bolt. !

Dale

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I did. He gave me a link to their website, it lists all the parks with "shooting ranges". He said he wasn't sure on that area exactly since their office had a Lancaster ranger call me instead of one who deals over there directly. He just said "On our site, it has only rifle listed on it, no pistols, they used to before I know that, but now they don't have it listed...If its not listed on the site, they do not allow it."
    Websites mean nothing IMO, IANAL

If there is a regulation it has to be in the Pa Code to be enforceable. Specifically it should be in Title 58 Chapt 135 (see sec J 135.181 for shooting range regulations)- here.

The ranger should be able to give you a cite to a statutes or code section, if such a rule exists. I couldn't find anything that restricts the type of weapon on a 'rifle' range. Just ask (challenge) him - if he gave you a ticket for using a pistol on the rifle range what the law citation would be

(Chester County)

Does SGL43 get full even on weekdays? If so, what time does it usually get full, morning or afternoon? Thanks.

(Somerset County)

I usually get there late morning, say 9:30-10:30 and stay until 11:30, maybe 12:30. Some days its almost empty, some days about half full. Our last trip was on the Thursday before Easter. There was a steady stream of people in and out but it never really got more than half full. A good mix of folks, older, younger, a couple of men/women pairs, couple of father/son combos.

When the wife and kid go along, we usually run to Morgantown for lunch afterwards, makes a nice day out.

Dale

(Chester County)

I went there today around mid-day. I was there for about 1.5 hours. Only 3 benches were in use the whole time I was there. It was really nice.

I was there Monday(early AM). Those that were there had a great day until about 10:30. Three people showed up and had bad habits. When a "clear" was called, the 2 males carried their pistols with them to the targets. That was enough for me, cleaned up and left. Hope this doesn't hurt the range as most times I've experienced responsible people enjoying the range. Please don't even say I should have confronted them!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I was there Monday(early AM). Those that were there had a great day until about 10:30. Three people showed up and had bad habits. When a "clear" was called, the 2 males carried their pistols with them to the targets. That was enough for me, cleaned up and left. Hope this doesn't hurt the range as most times I've experienced responsible people enjoying the range. Please don't even say I should have confronted them!
    Well, as long as these people had unloaded pistols in the holsters, I don't see where the harm is done with them carrying them downrange. Maybe they were afraid to leave them unattended on the bench while they were downrange? I can't blame them in that sense.

As for confronting them, you definitely did the right thing. Some people seem to think we all are supposed to confront a lawbreaker in a case like this and do the PGC's work for them. And if you don't they will ridicule you and somehow lay blame on you if something like a range closure happens due to some asshole. Well to those people I say, "go ahead and be a hero. It'll be you I read about in the obituaries, not me!"
    Last edited by Poonie; May 4th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Well, as long as these people had unloaded pistols in the holsters, I don't see where the harm is done with them carrying them downrange. Maybe they were afraid to leave them unattended on the bench while they were downrange? I can't blame them in that sense.

As for confronting them, you definitely did the right thing. Some people seem to think we all are supposed to confront a lawbreaker in a case like this and do the PGC's work for them. And if you don't they will ridicule you and somehow lay blame on you if something like a range closure happens due to some asshole. Well to those people I say, "go ahead and be a hero. It'll be you I read about in the obituaries, not me!"
    Hello Poonie. No holsters, I don't even believe the actions were locked open. There initial actions were enough for me to be concerned. Gut feeling!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast