Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default (AMMO!!) Stocking Up!!

What type of ammo is the best bang for the buck when stocking up. I like to stock up on 9mm but in a shtf situation I believe I would need a rifle of some sort so my flavor is 7.62x39.

(Chester County)

Default Re: (AMMO!!) Stocking Up!!

I personally am stocking up on .223, 5.56, .357 and .40. These are calibers I own and if shtf they are pretty common so I would be able to trade for other goods...

(Monroe County)

Buy both. Probably more handgun ammo, because you likely wont be roaming around if SHTF with an AK. Depending on where you live, you might use more rifle ammo though. Buy Both.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Buy both. Probably more handgun ammo, because you likely wont be roaming around if SHTF with an AK. Depending on where you live, you might use more rifle ammo though. Buy Both.
    I would definately buy both but lean more towards rifle ammo because when TSHTF the majority of handgun ammo would/should be used for barter. If you let the bad guys get close enough that you repeatedly need a handgun for defense then you already lost and just don't know it yet.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    I would definately buy both but lean more towards rifle ammo because when TSHTF the majority of handgun ammo would/should be used for barter. If you let the bad guys get close enough that you repeatedly need a handgun for defense then you already lost and just don't know it yet.

JMHO,
    Rich W.
    sort of disagree, with respect. Red Dawn and all is fun to talk about but as said before in real life SHTF instead of TEOTWAWKI you will still need to be out among people and it would be silly to be walking around with a AR or AK. A concealed handgun is what would be most practical whenever away from home base. Even at home its usually going to be most practical as you are cutting wood, working on your garden, etc.

30 guys invading your home may happen but in reality you will most likely be robbed by a few guys on the way to the store. Have just enough for the AK but work on the 9 mm, then mags then the stuff you will really need such as food, water, fire, etc.....
    Last edited by phillyd2; March 4th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post

JMHO,
    Rich W.
    +1

May I also say that beyond buying commercial ammunition you should be looking into making your own. I just got my first press kit (single stage) so I can learn the basics and then move on to either turret or progressive.

More importantly before I worry about that(better press) I plan to get like 2k primers, 2k bullets, another 1k of brass, and powder jugs.

(Luzerne County)

I've been stocking up on everything! Whatever isn't out of stock at the time. Online I have run into alot of bulk ammo unavailable in all cal. from 9mm to .50. So if you have the money and its avail. buy it. It wont go to waist, I'll help you shoot it.

(Montgomery County)

OK that is cool but 9mm at .18 a round or would you say a mid range rifle round at about .25 a round.

(Philadelphia County)

It doesn't make much sense to stock up ammo for a gun you don't have or to by a gun and not stock the ammo to match.

(Luzerne County)

good point! Tough to say If it were me 9mm. That's what I stock up on. That's the best bang for your buck. Deadly and cheap. What else could you ask for. The rifle ammo I keep just enough to hunt and target practice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast