The meeting started at 8;30 sharp. It was announced that there were 22 speakers signed up to speak. I estimate a crowd of around 40 people.

Tim Sheaffer of Audubon PA was the first speaker. He basically reinterated the press statement we all discussed on the Browse Survey.

He also added some comments on wind power in PA. topics within that subject were placement, and protecting the land and animals affected.

The next three speakers were against the deer program. One guy used Carl Roes testimony from the house G&F Comm hearing as the basis for his testimony.

Rep Roher was next for a protracted amount of time. Then the time was expanded by Comm Boop. Boop, IMO, was out of line, and showed total disrespect for those he serves with on the board. Basically trying to negotiate the details of a survey during an open public meeting.

Comm Boop, a sad commentary on your professional demeanor today. You are part of a committee. Abandoning all common courtesy and the democratic procedures to advance your personal agenda is just sad.

I feel you owe all in attendance an apology. Surely you owe those you serve with an apology. Setting up a meeting to discuss this issue is one thing. But to try to place the wheels in motion without consultation with the other members of the committee is outrageous.

Roher stated he surveyed all the members on the Republican side of the House F&G Comm. They all feel that something needs done with the deer issue. As in the committee hearing he challenged the measures being used. He instead wanted to change to anatiatrive measure like those used in a TQM (Total Quality management) system.

He called for a temporary change in the anterlered and antlerless concureent season for this year. He later returned to clearify his statement to only include antlerless deer. Keep the two week concurrent (his words) and no does allowed.

The otherside of the idea was to perform an audit of the deer program. Find out how amny deer there are and go from there. He stressed that hunters and farmers need to form the basis of this information.

This would reestablish the trust in the GC.

Comm Schieiden asked if he wanted them to count the deer?

Roher said no. But to use a larger sampeling. ( a contridiction from his opening remarks when Roher said you had to know how many deer there were to have a program).

Comm Schieiden stated that 2G had 52,000 doe tags. They were cut to 19,000 last year. He expressed the idea that the GC listens. They take in all the data, test it,and act on it.

Comm Palone asked Rep Roher if he knew who the constituites were for the GC.

Rohers said he could reverse the question, but finally went on about they were the G&F Comm and hunters - then the public. (his words in his order)

They had a back and forth discussion then Roher said the hunter was primary.

Comm Isabella asked if the DCNR was ever asked about forest conditions at hearings?

Roher said yes

It was at this point the exchange between Boop and Roher took place. After the inital question of do you know me - Boop made this statement:

' I worked for the last four years to change this fatally flawed program. He wished more legislators were here....

Boop called the deer management program:

Simplistic one size fits all...

I am not total sure by my notes who brought up the audit. From them it looks like Boop did.

wants independent outside audit that wold cost $50,000. Independent audit of all harvest numbers.

Rohor ended the exchange with -

Modification of the policy (doe season) is not an admission of fualt. An audit is not a bad thing to have happen.

Something new to my attendance experiences today. The commissioners actively asked questions to those testifying. A bit more than the usual odd question here and there. Most questions were to the profession level people or various organizations.

The first set was to a researcher for the USFS. His testimony included an estimate of 5100 square miles or 21% of all (PA) forested land has hay scented ferns.

Comm Boop asked him who he represented. The researcher stated all his affiliations through the US forest service to PA agencies and groups.

Comm Boop asked if timbering had improved - the researcher responded slightly.

Comm Boop asked if the majority of PA timber went into veneer. the researcher said a good deal did. Further back and forth produced a question from Boop about the value of that veneer. The researcher didn't know the answer.

A Warren County forester explained the results he had gotten with DMAP. Basically in 2003 he had an estimated 65 DPSM. Last year 25 DPSM, he is happy with that as he is getting regen.

He dedicated his DMAP tags last year to youth hunters only.

After break several awards were presented-

HTE Instructor of the Year went to Bill Crawford. The award was presented by our own WCO RWJ.

Mr.Crawford is from Washington County. Last year he presented 15 classes to 820 students. Next year he plans to train 1200.

In addition to the 820 HTYE students - he organized or volunteered with several fishing events for youth.

SCI Officer of the year

Chad Eyler of York County

PA NWTF Officers of the year

Land Manager - Dave Henry
WCO - Bradley Pryor (if i got the last name wrong please excuse me)

PAFB

He seemed to address the conversation between Boop and Rohor by insisting the GC maintain the concurrent seasons.

Landowner liability was a key topic in his testimony.

The FB is very concerned about the accidental or purposeful introduction or release of feral hogs into the wild. He claimed in some instances it would appear to be intentional.

There is a real disease issue with these hogs. The real potential for livestock disease is real.

The FB restated their opposition to Sunday hunting.

Comm Schleiden asked about the laws about bring farm animals into the state... this to include feral hogs.

FB - yes there are... really hard to enforce.

In response to the FB supporting standardizing dates for red tag hunting - Comm Boop asked if the FB was saying that those who are most familiar with animal husbandry are advocating allowing antlerless harvest on or after July 1. A mere two weeks after fawning... with the realization that to shoot the mother almost assures the death of the fawn.

FB - basically yes.

That was a protracted q&a. Condensed above.

Sierra Club of PA

They have 28,000 members in PA. They support wind power nad support the Voluntery Cooperators Agreement (more on that tomorrow)

They also support the current deer management plan.

Shon Robbins of PF gave a update on the pheasant release in Pike Run and Montour and Columbia Counties.

PA Landscapers and Nurseries Assoc. and PA Vegtable Growers Assoc

These guys gave the same basic testimony about loses and the effect on nursuriey owners and growers.

Several Commissioners followed on the questions similar to the FB. Questions centered around the support for the red tag standardization dates and their support for HB 550.

Basically the commissioners wanted to know if their members allowed hunter in tocontrol the deer.

Did the Assoc. refer hunters to members who needed help.

What is the need for more tools for deer reduction when it appears the ones offered are not being used.

The BOC wants answer to these questions and more.

i forgot to mention a Rep from Kane forest testified. He was asked several questions including how much land was available for hunting by the public.

his answer to that one -

127,000 acres - all open to the public. that land in seven counties.

Several other questions were asked by BOC members and all answered. Nothing controversial or not covered before.

--------------------
Hunting - more than just buying a license. Get involved!