Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stimulus Package Creates SIXTY Temp Jobs!

He said the project will support 60 jobs. "And that's how we're going to get the country back on its feet," LaHood added.

He said he hopes the workers can be retained beyond this six-month project. "We'll continue to bid, so the goal is to get more projects to keep those guys working, so they can roll off that project onto another," Compton said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/...lus/index.html

$800B for 60 Temporary jobs so far. Way to go, O!

(Adams County)

Default Re: Stimulus Package Creates SIXTY Temp Jobs!

WE GOT YOUR MONEY! GONNA SPEND YOUR MONEY!!

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Bucks County)

He said the project will support 60 jobs. "And that's how we're going to get the country back on its feet," LaHood added.
    Compton said the cash infusion is the "catalyst" to create 60 jobs, including bringing back some laid-off employees.
    So are they creating jobs, supporting current jobs or what? Are road workers not often laid-off during the winter, when road construction scales back, or maybe I'm wrong on that but still ...

Of course if we had real journalists, they would be asking these questions instead of cheerleading for this so called stimulus, but maybe those journalists never really existed.

(Lackawanna County)

WE GETTIN' PAID BIOTCH!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Wayne County)

I'll be the first one to say that I've been yelling at the TV for weeks saying that we shouldn't be bailing out anyone. And that the stimulus deal was wrongminded.

However, with that said, it appears that my office will be receiving some money from the stimulus and with it we will be hiring an additional 4 people in an office of about 20. This will be for spots that until a week ago, were not intended to be backfilled and with a possible reduction in force in the next year or two due to budget.

Now I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with the way things have transpired. What I can say is, at least in my little piece of the world, I can see the stimulus as having a direct effect on at least 4 lives.

And, after a little soul-searching, I can plainly state that if my taxes increasing a couple hundred bucks means that there will be 4 more families that won't have to sell their home or go on unemployment or welfare, then that's money that I'm willing to give up to help. If that makes me a communist, well then, at least I'll be a charitable communist. I'd probably use the money to contribute to community outreach at my wife's church or some other local function.

At least this way, the folks are EARNING the money and have the self-respect that comes with it rather than having to stand in line for a handout. Having been on both sides during my life, I'm happy to say that I'm currently fortunate enough to be in the 1st category and not the latter.

I hope, for the sake of our country, that I was wrong. I hope that this plan AND our President are successful. If not, it's not just some intangible concept of "the country" that is going to be hurting. It's gonna be honest-to-God, flesh and blood, happy last year, living-in-a-car this year, people.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    WE GOT YOUR MONEY! GONNA SPEND YOUR MONEY!!

camper
    nice...

10 char.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I'll be the first one to say that I've been yelling at the TV for weeks saying that we shouldn't be bailing out anyone. And that the stimulus deal was wrongminded.

However, with that said, it appears that my office will be receiving some money from the stimulus and with it we will be hiring an additional 4 people in an office of about 20. This will be for spots that until a week ago, were not intended to be backfilled and with a possible reduction in force in the next year or two due to budget.

Now I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with the way things have transpired. What I can say is, at least in my little piece of the world, I can see the stimulus as having a direct effect on at least 4 lives.

And, after a little soul-searching, I can plainly state that if my taxes increasing a couple hundred bucks means that there will be 4 more families that won't have to sell their home or go on unemployment or welfare, then that's money that I'm willing to give up to help. If that makes me a communist, well then, at least I'll be a charitable communist. I'd probably use the money to contribute to community outreach at my wife's church or some other local function.

At least this way, the folks are EARNING the money and have the self-respect that comes with it rather than having to stand in line for a handout. Having been on both sides during my life, I'm happy to say that I'm currently fortunate enough to be in the 1st category and not the latter.

I hope, for the sake of our country, that I was wrong. I hope that this plan AND our President are successful. If not, it's not just some intangible concept of "the country" that is going to be hurting. It's gonna be honest-to-God, flesh and blood, happy last year, living-in-a-car this year, people.
    Put those bolded together and you have a statement any freedom loving American can say. To tell me that the government has the authority to force that decision on me is completely contrary to the vision of our Framers.

Ther is no assurance that we will always be fat and happy.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Put those bolded together and you have a statement any freedom loving American can say. To tell me that the government has the authority to force that decision on me is completely contrary to the vision of our Framers.
    I guess that would depend on which of the framers you were speaking to. (The post that 5711-Marine started the other night w/ Ben Franklin's speech is what got me thinking about it.) This country has been a balancing act since its inception. And that was when there was only 2.5 million people (sorry, not including natives in the calculation). Fast forward to the present and you get the same situation, but magnified 150 times.

The point I was attempting to make is that it's a hard person that can stick to political dogma while watching their neighbor go jobless, homeless or hungry. Did I say I liked the bailouts or the stimulus package. No I didn't. I stated that in a microcosm, I could see the immediate benefits of the action DESPITE my disapproval. As Ben Franklin stated in 5711-Marine's post, this may be as close to perfect as we are able to get.

By the same token, I dislike even more the fact that the greed of the New Robber Barons in the financial sector affected a "tragedy of the commons" which lead to the cesspool that we're in.

Which is why I'm thankful that we live in a country where we can work toward common ground over our disagreements rather than enforce our political will at the end of a machete.

(Bucks County)

Being a christian I would never object to helping someone out in need as long as they desperately needed it. I worked in the mortgage business for 5 years and saw all the stuff happening that led us right down this path. Loan officers fudging income docs to get loans pushed through. Countrywide's marvelous no income no money down, we don;t need to know if your employed fast and easy, we'll give anyone a loan program. I saw it all. I am no longer i this field thank god. I dealt with foreclosures for about 2 of the five years handeling a pretty big state case load (pa, tx, ia, cal,nc,fl). Now when some one has their house foreclosed on and i look at appraisal pics, and income docs banking docs etc and see how they spend and where their priorities are i am disgusted. Probably 85 percent of the loans I handled in foreclosure the owners had a big SUV, cadillac, porsche, corvette etc sitting in the driveway of the bpo and appraisal pics. To me that means they spent outside their means. I do not believe we should give money or anything to those people who show they are that irresponsable as most of these people who are gonna get a hand out from the stimulus do.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ira82 View Post
    I do not believe we should give money or anything to those people who show they are that irresponsable as most of these people who are gonna get a hand out from the stimulus do.
    Nor do I. I agree 100%. However, the current downturn in the economy has effected folks like you or I who have been living within their means and trying to do things the "right" way. Not everyone in this mess is a moron that couldn't sit down with a checkbook and a calculator and figure out that you can't afford a $350K house on a $36K family income. Not everyone in this mess speculatively bought a house with a baloon payment expecting to "flip" it in 3 years for a tidy profit but got burned when the bottom dropped out.

There's lots of collateral damage and the longer it goes on, the more folks will be impacted. I personally know several folks that have been laid off lately and if I recall correctly, I've seen at least 2 or 3 members here post the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast