Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Another .357 Question

Going to be loading .357 magnum to use in wheel guns, 2 1/2" up to 6 1/2" barrels also 16" and 20" lever rifles. I have read that any round loaded for handguns can be used in the rifles, and vice verse, but where I have a concern is the loading data. For example, the Hornady load manual (7th edition) shows .357 mag. rifle data and handgun data. If I choose to load the same Hornady jacketed bullet, 158-160 grain, same bullet #, the same powder, say I will use 2400, there is a big difference in powder weight for the same velocities. I know the barrel length makes the difference, but my question is should I use the handgun load data or the rifle load data to use the rounds in both guns? That was the Hornady manuals' examples, I plan on loading using hard cast bullets too, but I don't know if the load data for them show the different powder weights for rile verses handgun. I only need mild loads, only target and plinking, outdoor rifle range when I get the chance. What load data do you load your .357 mag. to use in both guns, rifle or handgun?
    Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Another .357 Question

If a load is listed as a "rifle load" or "rifle data" I would not use it in a handgun, especially if the charge weights are higher than the max loads in the handgun data. Some rifles are somewhat stronger than handguns, and load data can be amped up a bit for them.

I just used the handgun loads in my 1894C. If you really want a rifle with more power, I think it would be best to get one instead of trying to max out the cartridge. But I'm a pretty conservative guy in such matters.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I will load the handgun data. Have you used a .357 cast bullet from Kings Shooter Supply that will feed well in a lever rifle? If so, what shape and weight is it if I could ask?
    Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I will load the handgun data. Have you used a .357 cast bullet from Kings Shooter Supply that will feed well in a lever rifle? If so, what shape and weight is it if I could ask?
    Thanks for the help!
    Kings is my preferred source of bullets. They are excellent.

In .38 Special/.357 Magnum, I like their 158 gr LFP (lead flat point).

For nice, mellow plinking loads, the following proved to be very fun and accurate for me.

.357 Magnum
    158 gr cast LFP
    4.5 gr Titegroup
    WSP primer
    1.600" OAL
    This load averaged 900 fps over my chronograph from my 3" Ruger SP101, and 1176 fps out of my Marlin 1894C.

.38 Special
    158 gr LFP
    3.4 gr Titegroup
    WSP primer
    1.465" OAL
    This one provided 717 fps out of my SP101, and 903 out of the Marlin.

Use the above load data at your own risk!
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart