Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Price Gouger Thread

--Admin's/Mod's if this is not something the forum would like to see, please delete this post so people don't just start putting things up. I'm not trying to make trouble, I'm just trying to think of a way for those of us who are knowledgeable to steer those who are not so knowledgeable in the right direction--

Considering all the panic buying, fearmongering gun dealers and distributors etc. Is it time to start naming names?

There are a lot of people out there who only frequent one or two gun shops, or only go to a gun show to find that "special purchase" who aren't necessarily aware that they're getting hosed.

I'm as much a capitalist as anyone, and sellers have the right to sell any product they wish for whatever price they wish, but we, as gun-buying consumers also have a right to call it like we see it.

Most dealers right now will tell you that the prices have gone up from their suppliers, but for example I saw a Century Arms Polish Tantal at the York Gun show for sale for $659!! (notoriously shoddy guns) The kicker was that it had the white tag from the importer hanging from it and it was dated July of 2007. That means that dealer was sitting on the thing for a year and a half just waiting for the day some sucker would come along and pay him that crazy amount of money for the thing.

As long as price gouging dealers keep finding buyers, they will keep doing this and prices will not go down. Is it time to start naming names and putting some of these scheisters in their collective place?

I didn't want to just start up a thread because I don't know the possible legal ramifications of it, but I know there's a lot of disgust out there right now. In my opinion, dealers who do that don't truly support the 2nd Amendment or gun rights in general, and I question whether it's right to support them by buying their wares.
    Last edited by mak47; March 3rd, 2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: edit

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Price Gouger Thread

No---we live in a free market.

(Bucks County)

i think nameing names might be going a little too far, but a good list of how much to NOT pay for what, under ANY circumstances, might be good
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Montgomery County)

as someone else already said... its a free market, welcome to capitalism.

anything in short supply will always bring the highest prices...just look at the machinegun market. a $700 M16 will cost you $12-18K depending which one you want to buy.

and frankly, if yer smart enough to be on the internet cruising forums, and yer NOT utilizing the same medium to check a range of prices on something from various sources, then I can't be bothered to even care about you paying too much for something you could get from a separate and cheaper source.

You have the right to shop around, the market will settle the pricing, those that want too much will end up adjusting prices to meet the market demand, or make no sales... thats exactly how it works, and how its supposed to work.

If I think someone is "gouging", I just hit the bricks and go someplace else... I don't stand on the sidewalk and whine to passersby about it.

and ya... watch what you say on the internet, you CAN be called to account for what you say in a court of law... so naming names is probably not the best idea.

(also, i moved this here, as it really didn't belong in the site suppot and suggestions forum)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

The OP said that someone was sitting on a rifle for a year and a half, and really thought that they put it back like a fine wine, to age, mature, and command a greater price?

If they did, that's their business, and it's yours not to pay the price if you don't like it. Confidentially, yes, there are some dealers who sat on goods, waiting for a spike in demand, but these are the same people who were making a livelihood from selling firearms that the Federal government could just as likely have taken away from them at any time. I can't begrudge them a premium on goods that they'll never have a chance to sell again, especially in the face of crushing demand.

Don't forget that the markup on a lot of weapons is fairly slim, especially new ones, and the largest players (think Bud's Gun Shop and Gander Mountain, for example) call the tune with middlemen, and even manufacturers. Little guys can't afford to give you goods for cost in the hopes that you'll come back again and expect another deal where they don't make a thin dime.

Some dealers are predatory. Others aren't. Shop where you feel comfortable and welcome, and vote with your feet and your wallet when the warm fuzzies are gone.

I like what Walter Williams says about stuff like this. It is a contract between two people, the buyer and the seller. The seller offers a price, and the buyer decides if it is worth it to him (or her). There is no real need for anyone else to be involved. Of course, it helps to be an educated buyer, but that comes down to personal responsibility, right?

(Delaware County)

Not naming names, but I went to an online vendor looking for Pmags of a certain color. He had them in stock. I did not pay attention to the price until I viewed the shopping cart, ready to check out.

35 dollars per mag is what these people were charging. Needless to say, I did not go through with the deal, they got their last dollar from me.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by reels18 View Post
    35 dollars per mag is what these people were charging. Needless to say, I did not go through with the deal, they got their last dollar from me.
    And therefore, there was no gouging. Free markets saved the day, once again!

-----------------------------

Gouging only happens when a needed resource is both controlled and scarce, and you are forced to pay beyond reasonable prices for it. Imagine a Katrina-style disaster, without any outside aid except for the government. You need water to survive, so the government rations water and charges you $20 per bottle. You have no choice since the ground water is contaminated and there is no free market to provide an alternative.

Last I checked, this isn't happening...

Ammo, guns, etc. may be a little more money than last year, and they may be harder to find than last year, and they do have some governmental regulations placed upon them, but they clearly do not meet the criteria for gouging.

If you don't like the price, shop around or walk away. Those with high prices will either find suckers to buy their stuff or they will lower prices to stay in business. Life goes on.

Gander Mountain wants 50% more for a box of Blazer Brass 9mm than Wal-Mart. Gouging? Nope, since someone's making the choice to buy it for that much. I chose to walk away. You have that choice, too. Stop acting like a victim.
    Last edited by Paradigm; March 3rd, 2009 at 08:56 AM.

(Clarion County)

Ok,lets talk about things we have to purchase that we know the price is crazy.Gasoline,that's right,let me cry in your beer a little,"Boo Hoo ".
    My wife and I went to Tenn. last week.Weds.morning outside of Signal Mnt.
    $1.62 a gal..Same day,south Fla.,$2.05 a gal. "Boo Hoo " !!
    Man,I'm in the wrong business !!

(Beaver County)

On the other hand, we could use a thread that, instead of "naming names" of price gougers, points out where the good deals can be found.

If, along the way, a vendor's price is <ahem> compared to another vendor's price, that's also capitalism at work, and a little "caveat emptor", thrown in, to boot!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast