Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Letting a Prohibited person use your gun

A group of guys from my church get together a few times a year for clay pigeon shooting, and we are also talking about doing some handgun and rifle shooting, and teaching some basic gun safety and handling. I am concerned about an open invitation saying "all are welcome to attend". What happens if we unknowingly allow a prohibited person to use our guns?
    Also, what could happen if you know someone is prohibited, but allow them to use your weapon anyway? I would never do this, but I'm not sure how some others might see it.
    I have looked through the PA statutes, and did a search on PAFOA, but I could not find anything related to what could happen to the owner of a weapon who allowed a prohibited person to use it. Could an LTCF holder lose his LTCF? Criminal charges filed?
    BTW, all of this would be just target shooting on private property, if that makes a difference. (I don't think it will, just including it for info.)

Please help. Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Letting a Prohibited person use your gun

does the statute say anything beyond ownership. does it say may not have in his posession? I was wondering about this myself. I have a friend that has an assault charge from when he was 18. He is 50 now and a law abiding citizen. I can only assume he is a prohibited person ans wondered the legality of taking him to the range for a day.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(Tioga County)

If he is a prohibited person just touching a gun or ammo can get him sent to the cross bar hotel for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackHawk View Post
    does the statute say anything beyond ownership. does it say may not have in his posession? I was wondering about this myself. I have a friend that has an assault charge from when he was 18. He is 50 now and a law abiding citizen. I can only assume he is a prohibited person ans wondered the legality of taking him to the range for a day.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Lancaster County)

thanks for the info. He probably knows that. That will save him the embarassment of asking him.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(Clarion County)

In an open invite,there really is no way to know who's who! He could be the son of the son of Sam,with an illegal gun,he can be next to you at the range you frequent.How could you possibly know everything about anybody ?One thing in your favor though,he's obviously not in "the kill mode" at this present
    time,too many guns.

(Monroe County)

NEVER NEVER NEVER lend a firearm to anyone you may even suspect is a prohibited person!! If you get caught, PSP WILL throw the book at you under section 6105. Fun is fun but losing your right to a firearm or at minimum spending a small fortune in your defense is NOT worth a fun day at the range. BUT thats just my opinion.

Rich W.

It should be easy enough to simply ask the people who want to come if they have anything in their background that would prohibit them from handling firearms. You can even explain your concern. People can always lie of course, but there has to be some level of trust. Just because someone is redeemed in the eyes of God, he is not redeemed in the eyes of society. There are plenty of people with checkered pasts in churches today. In fact, all of us have checkered pasts if you think about it! You just have to sort out what God thinks vs what man thinks. And I am completely serious about that.

Have fun with it, and good job on getting men in your church to shoot!

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    It should be easy enough to simply ask the people who want to come if they have anything in their background that would prohibit them from handling firearms. You can even explain your concern. People can always lie of course, but there has to be some level of trust. Just because someone is redeemed in the eyes of God, he is not redeemed in the eyes of society. There are plenty of people with checkered pasts in churches today. In fact, all of us have checkered pasts if you think about it! You just have to sort out what God thinks vs what man thinks. And I am completely serious about that.

Yep , God is more forgiving than government , thankfully .
    REP to you
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Why just the men?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Why just the men?
    Well, he did write group of guys, so I am assuming men. One of the women in our own church wants me to organize a ladies day out at the range, but we have not yet had a chance to do it - something about cold weather and all that.

In a little while I will have my certification from the NRA as an instructor (completed the course this weekend) and then I am going to go for getting a bunch of women in church going on some gun safety so they will be more comfortable around them. Then comes the men. If the women do it, there is no way the men can put if off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast