Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Storing handgun - slide locked and mag full?

I just bought my first gun about a week ago and I have questions about how best to store it. I plan to take the NRA safety classes as soon as one comes available in my area and maybe they will cover this type of thing. But in the meantime, I have a question about storage. Not so much about safes or moisture, but the state of the weapon.

This is my home defense weapon for the moment. I have been storing it with a full magazine and an empty chamber, slide in the resting position. I see some pictures of guns in cases where the slide is locked back.

My understanding of spring fatigue is that it comes from repeated cycling (or heat or shock) and not from remaining compressed for long periods of time. So I guess it should be OK to store a gun with the slide locked back and magazines full.

Is there a generally accepted best practice when it comes to storing a handgun?

Default Re: Storing handgun - slide locked and mag full?

All of mine are a full mag +1.
    That includes the AK.
    All wheel guns are full, also.

(York County)

^^
    What he said... Locked and loaded...

(Fayette County)

If she's for home defense, she might as well be ready to roll...

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't store a handgun with the slide locked in the open position, just because a simple bump can easily release the slide catch and cause it to close. I have no problem if you want to keep a round in the chamber for self-defense, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a round being chambered inadvertently because of the weapon being bumped.

(York County)

Everyone has an opinion..do what you think is best for you.

That said, I keep a certain number of revolvers loaded and stashed. There are also a certain number of semi-auto firearms (pistols and rifles) on the ready. The semi-autos are stashed with loaded mags and empty chambers. That's my perference for safety concerns, although there is no particular logic behind this other then the longer, stouter trigger pull of a DA revolver.

Personally, I wouldn't lock the slide back. Too easy for foreign material to get in the chamber during storage.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    *snip*
    Personally, I wouldn't lock the slide back. Too easy for foreign material to get in the chamber during storage.
    Good point.

I can't see a very good reason to keep the gun in a state as suggested by the OP... if there are kids around to worry about, then the gun isn't secure enough. If no kids, then the gun may as well have a round chambered and ready to go... if there's a safety concern of storing a round in a handgun chambered, it's time to get a new handgun.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
    My understanding of spring fatigue is that it comes from repeated cycling (or heat or shock) and not from remaining compressed for long periods of time. So I guess it should be OK to store a gun with the slide locked back and magazines full.
    your understanding of spring fatigue is correct (assuming the gun is not poorly designed and pushes the spring beyond its elastic limit with the slide locked back).

however, i would recommend against storing the gun with a mag inserted and the slide locked back for reasons mentioned above.

Is there a generally accepted best practice when it comes to storing a handgun?
    imho, if it is a home defense gun, it should be stored ready to go. mag inserted, round chambered, slide forward (cocked and safety on if applicable).

if it is not a home defense gun, then unloaded...no mag inserted, no round in chamber. slide forward or back is up to you. i keep my slides forward to avoid having it slamming forward on an empty chamber as a result of being bumped and to keep dirt out (as someone else pointed out above).
    F*S=k

(Adams County)

I would not store any firearm you own loaded until you are very familiar with how it operates and fires.

If I were you, I'd practice loading an empty mag into it and racking the slide. Then, I would store a loaded magazine next to it so that you can lock & load if need be.

Especially if you're first reaction is to put your index figure ANYWHERE inside the trigger guard when you pick it up.

Just my opinoin, of course. You said it was your first gun and you're goign to take a course....which is why I said the above.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I would not store any firearm you own loaded until you are very familiar with how it operates and fires.

If I were you, I'd practice loading an empty mag into it and racking the slide. Then, I would store a loaded magazine next to it so that you can lock & load if need be.

Especially if you're first reaction is to put your index figure ANYWHERE inside the trigger guard when you pick it up.

Just my opinoin, of course. You said it was your first gun and you're goign to take a course....which is why I said the above.

camper
    good points.

yes, it would be an extremely good idea to learn and internalize (i.e., make instinctual) the basic rules of gun safety before storing/handling any loaded guns.

1. keep finger off trigger (and out of trigger guard) until you are ready to shoot

2. never let the muzzle be pointed at anything you are not willing to destroy (and know your target and what is beyond when you are actually shooting)

3. always assume all guns are loaded

now, in reality, there are times when these are violated (like dry-firing)...however, unless you are intentionally violating them in a safe manner for a good reason (again, like dry firing, cleaning, etc.), always follow these rules.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast