Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Concealed Carry on the road to FL

For WV: You and your PA LTCF are welcome here, even if you are just passing through. With a few the exception of three localities you are welcome to carry openly or concealed. There is also no duty to inform a LEO. If you do get pulled over for speeding, allow me to thank you for contributing to our budget surplus! :-)

As it would seem you may only pass through the Eastern Panhandle you have no worries about grandfathered local ordinances. If you decide to change your destination, stay away from Charleston, Dunbar and South Charleston (which is between Charleston and Dunbar). These localities have ordinances that prohibit OC. CC as far as I know is ok with your PA LTCF.

I just returned from WVCDL's Lobby Day in Charleston and we are working hard to strengthen the states preemption law, so hopefully the Charleston & suburbs problem will go away soon.

For those who may be interested, Charleston is our state capitol and Dunbar and South Charleston are suburbs of Charleston. Here is a map.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    From PA to FL

MD: must transport under federal provisions = empty, locked up in trunk, etc..
    WV: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal
    VA: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal
    NC: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal. if stopped or addressed even on foot - you must notify the office.
    SC: put your gun in the glovebox or console. If it wont fit, it must be stored in the trunk then. OC illegal, does not recognize nonresident licenses. If you get stopped and have to reach into glovebox or console, its recommended that you give the officer fair warning.
    GA: our PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. licensed OC legal
    FL: our PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC illegal. open carry can land you in county motel, even if licensed.
    Dude !! I'm impressed,I tavel tha route,I-80 I-79 I-19 I-77 I-26 I-95
    I-10 I-75 12 times in the past two years round trip,dead-on,watch SC.!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this I was under the impression that SC is the same as Maryland for carry, no reciprocity.

To the OP I've done two trips to Florida and back with my firearm...I believe there are a couple of states where you must inform law enforcement you are carrying if pulled over. I used concealedcarry.net to look up all the information before, but can't seem to get the sight to work handgunlaw.us has a lot of helpful resources. As I recall, NC requires you to inform leo by law but not sure about other states...I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
    SC law specifically provides for glovebox and console carry. No reciprocity is needed.

oops... looks like lildobe answered the question..

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Dude !! I'm impressed,I tavel tha route,I-80 I-79 I-19 I-77 I-26 I-95
    I-10 I-75 12 times in the past two years round trip,dead-on,watch SC.!

Taking I-80, I-79, US19, I-77, I-26, I-95, I-295, I-10, US301, SR-326, I-75 will save you a few miles. You just have to watch your speed on US301 in Waldo, Starke, Lawtey, and Hawthorn. They finance the towns from the tickets. The rest of that 70 some odd mile run of 301 you can do nearly interstate speeds 55-65mph and cut off several miles(about 55-60 miles) from going all the way over to I-75 on I-10.

Dad and I used to run that route about 20 times a year between the two of us for 10 years or so. I haven't made the run since 2006.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 3rd, 2009 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Special thanks to mrwildroot for the link to Hangunlaw.us..... which we all have used before but this is the first time I have really looked at all the info available there, ie. Must Info Officer: YES or NO in the upper RH corner. It also contains in the .pdf (after you select a state) either the answers to most if not all questions regarding handguns and weapons in general for licensing, transportation, preemption, where you can and cannot carry.... and more.

This site is a great resource.

And the only two states that require you notify the officer that you have a weapon available in the car are NC and SC.... of the states I will we be driving through.

Again, Thanks to all.

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Thanks to everyone for the info. Special thanks to mrwildroot for the link to Hangunlaw.us..... which we all have used before but this is the first time I have really looked at all the info available there, ie. Must Info Officer: YES or NO in the upper RH corner. It also contains in the .pdf (after you select a state) either the answers to most if not all questions regarding handguns and weapons in general for licensing, transportation, preemption, where you can and cannot carry.... and more.

This site is a great resource.

And the only two states that require you notify the officer that you have a weapon available in the car are NC and SC.... of the states I will we be driving through.

Again, Thanks to all.

Always glad to help a fellow PAFOA member!
    Safe travels,

mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I must confess that I've helped propagate this myth in the past.

My current understanding it that (obviously) unloading mags is not a requirement under federal transport regulations, but that there may be some (obscure?) game regulation that deems a loaded magazine to qualify as a "loaded firearm", and that an officer intent on finding *something* to charge you with, may drag this out and attempt to apply it to someone otherwise lawfully transporting through the state.

I cannot provide a citation for the game law/regulation.
    There maybe a gaming reg in MD that says that, however since I don't enforce gaming laws, I am not too worried about them, none of my buddies have heard of it either (not even in the academy), and I have never seen it written in my Criminal Law book.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123