Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Center point 4-16x40mm ?

I was thinking about getting this scope to learn about mil-dot reading and dialing in ranges and with the cost at $69.97 at wal-mart my feeling is to start out and learn on this scope at that price should not be a bad thing.
    I know their is better quality scopes but I am looking for a budget type scope with mil-dot and finger adj. dial in windage/elevation and figure why not?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Center point 4-16x40mm ?

Anyone? Anyone?

I witnessed the awesomeness of this scope through the plastic package and I now want one for my AR for plinking.

Anyone have one?

Please tell me its great for the coin.

Last edited by RaisedByWolves; March 29th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

(Bucks County)

Alright, someone had to do it, I bought one. After reading all of the reviews, I stowed my fears of price VS quality and pulled the trigger. Out of the box this scope impressed me right away. Keep in mind, Im not saying its a Leupold or other high end scope, but Im looking at quality VS price and it seems pretty well made. Certainly is big enough.

Heres an artsy shot of it on my AR.

Its tough taking pics of something that is flat black, but I did my best. Yes there is plenty of room to get to the charging handle and the rings are just about at a perfect height for a flat top AR. I can only think they had this application in mind when they designed it, its a good fit. The rings are rather beefy and there is plenty of clamping force with the 8 screws that hold the clamps, even if the thread fit isint perfect. Its a minor bitch, but Im picky.

Here you can see a different angle of the clamps with the Rail nuts shown close up. They have holes in the flats on two sides which you can stick the included allen wrench to facilitate tightening of the clamps. You can also see the lock down knobs for the windage and elevation knobs. These seem to work well and dont feel cheap, or atleast not as cheap as you might think given the price.

Heres some shots looking through it. They dont look so great but try taking pics like this and youll see how hard it can be. The sky was overcast and this is also looking through the screen door. Overall the image is pretty good if not as bright as a better scope would be.

4X

10X

Next post is with 16X
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Heres an out of focus shot of the scope at 16X. Im still learning the controlls so the pick looks like crap. This was taken from about 35yrds away. Im not sure if the dots are the correct size as I dont have another Mill dot scope to compare it too. I need to take it out and check over the dots and adjustments at the range where I have more room to properly evaluate it.

Buisiness end.

Drivers seat.

You also get what appear to be a fairly decent set of flip open caps with this and a nice range estimating card that is on heavy card stock that is also laminated. The card is a nice touch, but they crumple it up into a little package in the packaging and it is all creased. Im going to call cust svc and see if theyll send me another.

A full set of very good instructions along with a Mill dot rainging guide are included along with two lithimu batterys for the R/G illuminated reticle. I really wish they would either do these iluminated jobs right and ask another $10 or eliminate this feature and save me sum bux. Almost everyone I have seen suffers from Light spill inside the eye piece. More annoying than anything, but it makes all of these cheap scopes look....Well, Cheap.

Its a feature I probably wont use anyhow, but still.

Next up Im off to sight it in. Im going to "Shoot the box" and see how it does, but as long as it holds zero and the drop compensation works out Ill be a happy camper.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Center point 4-16x40mm ?

I heard these scopes are great for the money. Some guy at the range today let me shoot his AR with that scope and I was impressed. It was topped on DPMS varmint upper that looks exactly like your rifle. LOL! Thanks for letting me shoot that fine rifle! I hope I dont have to shoot against it in the LRGC practical! It was good to get some range time with the perfect weather today. Dan

(Bucks County)

Hi Dan!

Thanks again for helping me bring the scope in. As odd as this might sound it was kinds neat having someone else fire the gun while I turned the dials and looked through the Binocs.

Ok, With Dans help I got the gun sighted in to a rough beginning zero and locked down the controls. Then I took it home not too happy about the groups I was getting but not too concerned as it was this scopes first time out and I felt it might settle in a lil once it got some use. I also wondered if it might be the Ammo, but felt I did OK with this ammo and the last scope so......

I took it home and "Handled" it a little bit. By Handled I mean that I worked on the lower a little, drove around with it in the truck for a day or so, tossed it in/out of the safe and around the shop, just trying to simulate the average a scoped rifle gets in regular handling to see if it would hold a decent zero.

Today I got to take it out again with some different ammo and I was defiantly surprised with the results. I picked up some Brown Bear ammo and it seems the gun likes this a little better than the Ultramax as mu groups closed up a little. This was my only mag shot today and I only got off 15rds as someone kept yelling SUNDOWN and I figured I should stop shooting.

Pic.

That is 15 shots at 50yrds. Take out the two flyers and you have 13 shots within 3/4" in low light and while feeling rushed. Ill take that anyday.

If my results from sighting in my last scope repeat themselves I should be able to work my way down to a similar group at 100yrds within a mag or two.

Ill continue adding to this thread whenever I get the chance and Ill give my good and bad results whenever anything crops up. So far Im happy with this scope and it never fails to get noticed whenever its at the range.

Last edited by RaisedByWolves; April 9th, 2009 at 11:10 PM.

(Bucks County)

Good shooting! Im glad the scope is working out for you. I shoot brown bear through my golani and it is pretty damn accurate for steel cased crap. We have to hit the range this week. Let me know if your head up there in the evening, I want to shoot my slr106 at 100 and 200yds. Dan

(Bucks County)

Yeah, my next step is going to the big range and resighting for 100, then I can try the Mill dots and see how they stack up. Personally I didnt think I was going to like the Brown Bear, but this is pretty good ammo for the price. It really seems like its loaded at 5.56 rather than .223 pressures, scared the shit out of the wife and she wouldnt even come near the gun let alone shoot it.

Nice BIG Fireball.

I let you know when Im going out or you can do the same.

i just picked this scope up and have it mounted to a savage 10 in .308. i am taking it to the range to site in on Saturday.

pictures to follow when i get home.

my shoulder hurts from that 308.... i broke it a few years ago in a motorcycle crash and it hasn't been right since... maybe a 308 was a bad choice for a rifle but oh well... onto the scope.

i did NOT bore sight my rifle before going to the range, i set up a target at 100 yards and decided to let it rip. first shot was 6 inches to the left and 3 inches high, couple of clicks later, 3rd shot was RIGHT ON TARGET. my buddy and i spent the rest of the day blasting the target to shreds. we did so much damage to it i don't even have pictures of the target to show you...

i also forgot my camera at home so no range pics either.

wind was a full value wind from 7 o clock so next time i go i will have to play with windage again but it's worth it. pics of the rifle soon... i promise....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast