Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Opinions on something I did

I bought an 8# jug of pulldown IMR 4895 a year or so ago. I'm down to about 1# left of it. Rather than having a nearly empty 8# jug taking up space on my shelf, I transferred the remaining powder to an empty 1# H4895 bottle. I washed the bottle out first and clearly and securely marked it as IMR 4895.

I posted on another forum that I did this and got railed for it. Ripped up one side and down the other that this is a HUGE safety risk and that I shouldn't be reloading if I'm going to disregard basic safety measures. You'd think I made up loads starting at 20% over maximum and gave them to kids to shoot unsupervised. Many of the folks there are what you'd call gun snobs. I think their criticism is a bit extreme and really don't think what I did is any kind of safety problem. The bottle was washed and clearly labeled with its new contents.

What say ye?

Default Re: Opinions on something I did

we need to see their criticisms - link to other forum?

how did you wash the new container out?

Relabeling is frowned upon. Increased chance of bad things happening. But since you've gone through 7 of the 8 pounds it would seem that you'll be using the rest fairly soon.

I'm sure you know that H4895 and IMR 4895 are different. As long as it's just you I don't see much of a problem. Someone else using it could have a problem.

Where I worked they had put stuff in containers and relabeled. I refused to use any of it because the person that did it was gone. And I just didn't trust what the label said.

use a sharpie, who cares if its not in the factory container. as long as the label doesnt come off (sharpie) who gives a rats ass...to the people on the other forum, tighten up yer foil....
    FJB

(Tioga County)

Rather than rail about it, I would suggest it's not a safe practice. For those that are real picky about their loading there can be differences lot to lot in powder. Granted not a lot of difference but enough to make the difference from a bug hole group to a .25 MOA group.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Schuylkill County)

I worked in a chemistry lab for 35 years where safety is just as important, if not more so, as a reloading bench. Re-bottling chemicals and reagents is done all the time As long as you label the new container properly, there is no issue.

(Cambria County)

I wouldn't have even washed out the container. People get bent out of shape for no reason.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Cumberland County)

Dont worry about you getting smashed on for that. My grandfather been reloading for 40+ yrs an he does it all the time. Never had one problem from doing that. I remember watching him since I was 12 reloading, ect. As long as you can read what they are. Who cares.

Stay up

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    I wouldn't have even washed out the container. People get bent out of shape for no reason.
    Same here dude !!!! lol Who the E'f cares its your stuff , your life , screw them and tell em to worry about there own pounds of powder.

(Lawrence County)

I save all my Hodgdon and IMR empties (they fit nicely on a shelf in my reloading room). I peel off the label and put a blank white address label on it. When I need more, I take them to the gun shop and they "refil them" from their bulk stock.

I figure if this is standard practice for them it must be safe or they wouldn't allow it for fear of getting sued.

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast