Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Gameland question

May I hunt coyote at night on gamelands? It seems gamelands are closed at night unless during legal hunting hours. Coyote in pa is legal at night; So may I hunt at night. One can fish at night, whats the difference?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Gameland question

Legal hunting hours. Well that depends on what you are hunting if your allowed to hunt coyote at night (which you can) then that would be legal hunting hours.. In otherwords YES you can hunt yotes at night and coons and possum and skunk. I have hunted plenty at night....

(Jefferson County)

You can fish at night for sure, unless there is a specific prohibition for certain periods and fish.

Dont take this as the Holy Gospel, but I think there is special limitations to hunting only certain critters at night. Furbearer hunting I believe is legal at night, and coyotes are furbearer critters. I'm not sure about game lands though, I will look into it.

Sec. 2310. Unlawful use of lights while hunting.

(a) General rule. - Except as set forth in subsection (b), it is unlawful for any person or group of persons to engage in any of the following activities to any degree:

(1) Cast the rays of an artificial light of any kind on any game or wildlife or in an attempt to locate any game or wildlife while on foot, in any vehicle or its attachments, or any watercraft or any airborne craft while in possession of a firearm of any kind, or a bow or arrow, or any implement or device with which any game or wildlife could be killed or taken even though no game or wildlife is shot at, injured or killed.

(2) Aid, assist or conspire either in the killing or taking or in an attempt to kill, take, possess, transport or conceal any game or wildlife or a part thereof which has been killed or taken by use of any artificial light.

(3) Operate, allow or permit any vehicle or its attachments, any watercraft or any airborne craft to be used for killing or taking or attempting to kill or take any game or wildlife by using the rays of any artificial light.

(b) Exceptions. - The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1)
    (i) A person on foot who uses a flashlight or spotlight held in the hand, worn on the head or mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(ii) For the purposes of this paragraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.

(2) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).

(c) Penalties. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree. In addition thereto, if any person is hunting game or wildlife or if any attempt is made to take any game or wildlife, the person or persons shall be sentenced to the additional penalties of:

(1) For each endangered or threatened species, a fine of $1,000 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of ten years.

(2) For each elk or bear, a fine of $800 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of five years.

(3) For each deer, a fine of $500 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of three years.

(4) For each bobcat or otter, a fine of $300 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of three years.

(5) For each turkey or beaver, a fine of $200 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of two years.

(6) For each other bird or animal, a fine of $100 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of one year.

(d) Contraband. - Any craft or vehicle or attachments thereto, and all artificial lights and any firearm or paraphernalia being unlawfully used, and any game or wildlife unlawfully taken, killed or possessed are contraband.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Armstrong County)

Not sure, but it may depend on the gameland your at. I have seen some that have hours posted on the bullitin board with the rules and regs. Same with some boat launches. So, I'ld have to say check there, and if its not mentioned, then go for it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can fish at night for sure, unless there is a specific prohibition for certain periods and fish.

Dont take this as the Holy Gospel, but I think there is special limitations to hunting only certain critters at night. Furbearer hunting I believe is legal at night, and coyotes are furbearer critters. I'm not sure about game lands though, I will look into it.
    thanks I would really appreciate it! I could always count on you when it comes to pa law and regulations!

(Jefferson County)

I couldn't find any definitive hours, just "legal hunting hours" as Searcher mentioned.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post
    May I hunt coyote at night on gamelands? It seems gamelands are closed at night unless during legal hunting hours. Coyote in pa is legal at night; So may I hunt at night. One can fish at night, whats the difference?
    Yes. If it is legal for you to be hunting at night, you can hunt them on the SGL's.

(Luzerne County)

thanks guys rep added.