Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default CNN Analysis: No more gun control

CNN looked into the possibilty of their being a push for more gun control, and they came to the conclusion that there will be little if any gun control measures that come from this shooting.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/...rol/index.html

By Bill Schneider
    CNN Senior Political Analyst
    Adjust font size:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Is the Virginia Tech tragedy likely to put gun control on the political agenda? Don't bet on it. In recent years, gun control has been an issue most politicians prefer to stay away from.

The last significant gun control measures to make it through Congress were the Brady bill in 1993 and the assault weapons ban in 1994.

And what happened? Democrats lost control of Congress for 12 years. President Clinton said the gun lobby had a lot to do with his party's defeat. Democrats have been gun-shy ever since.

Then-Vice President Al Gore rarely talked about gun control during the 2000 presidential campaign. Gore even went so far as to say he wouldn't restrict sportsmen or hunters, "None of my proposals would have any effect on hunters or sportsmen or people who use rifles."

Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the Democrats' 2004 presidential candidate, went hunting during his campaign. He defended 2nd Amendment rights said during a campaign debate, saying, "I will protect the Second Amendment. I always have and I always will."

Nevertheless, the National Rifle Association ran an ad railing against Kerry and Gore's stance on gun rights. "John Kerry, you are not fooling America's gun owners," the ad stated. "They know you voted against their gun rights for 20 years. So now you're running away from your record, just like Al Gore did."

This year, former New York City mayor and current Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani, a longtime supporter of gun control, says the matter should be left to the states. Polls show the public supports gun control. Why don't the politicians get with the people?

Support for gun control dropping

Public support for stricter gun laws has been declining since the 1990s, according to the Gallup Poll. In January 2007, the number of people who supported stricter gun laws was at 49 percent, less than a majority for the first time since at least 1990.

Why such a decline? It seems related to the steady drop in the nation's violent crime rate since 1994. After a shocking incident like the one at Virginia Tech, public anger over gun violence rises. So does support for gun control measures.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, issued a statement saying, "I believe this will re-ignite the dormant effort to pass common-sense gun regulations in this nation.''

But public anger is not usually sustained very long, whereas gun owners remember every gun control vote as a threat to their rights. Gun owners vote the issue. Supporters of gun control typically don't. So politicians believe they will pay a price at the polls if they support new guns laws, even when most voters agree with them. When it comes to public opinion, intensity matters. Not just numbers.

Default Re: CNN Analysis: No more gun control

There seems to be a peculiar apathy with the anti's on this. They either haven't pulled together yet, or their keeping it close to the vest hoping they gain more control before springing into action. We do have a presidential election coming up in a couple years.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Perry County)

Yeah the anti's are certainly out in numbers on the different news forums spouting off about how this would have been avoidable and how archaic the 2A rights are. I've been posting like a madman on these forums, but there is no educating these people. They're willing to give up their rights.

(Erie County)

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, issued a statement saying, "I believe this will re-ignite the dormant effort to pass common-sense gun regulations in this nation.''
    Glad to see miss CCW herself chooses to make a comment. Of course gun control wouldn't affect what or where she carries as she already has her "special" unrestrictive permit.

Second Amendment Hypocrites: Senators Schumer and Feinstein Pack Heat

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Glad to see miss CCW herself chooses to make a comment. Of course gun control wouldn't affect what or where she carries as she already has her "special" unrestrictive permit.

Second Amendment Hypocrites: Senators Schumer and Feinstein Pack Heat

Perhaps it will also ignite arms regulations to keep her from any more profiteering from government contracts going to her husbands company. Didn't she recently step down from the arms and service committee for a conflict of interest?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Beaver County)

I think they're not spouting off as much since, so far, there is no one to take to court. No end result that they could claim; see I told you!

I always liked the modified version of the old saying, Do unto yourself as you would like others do unto you. Too bad this shmo didn't follow that rule.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Perhaps it will also ignite arms regulations to keep her from any more profiteering from government contracts going to her husbands company. Didn't she recently step down from the arms and service committee for a conflict of interest?

Yes. I heard the same thing. And she only stepped down AFTER somebody pointed it out. Did the Republicans beat their chest and ask for a "special investigation" and yadd yadd yadda? No. Was it the top story on CBS Evening News with Katie Whatsherface? No. Would it have been had it been a Republican? Yes.

I was shocked when I found out that not only was she profiting from the war she's so against, but she carries a gun too.

"Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often and for the same reasons." - Robin Williams

(Philadelphia County)

Of course they're saying that - for now. Wait until they get their ducks in a row: Dem Senate, Dem House, Dem Presidency (just like they did in '94). They're just making sure they can get elected FIRST.

The best defense for more gun control: How many laws did he already break? How did he get to where he was if it was illegal? Besides, didn't he shoot someone with intent to kill? That in and of itself is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SGTUSArmy View Post
    The best defense for more gun control: How many laws did he already break? How did he get to where he was if it was illegal? Besides, didn't he shoot someone with intent to kill? That in and of itself is illegal.
    Exactly!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast