Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Media allowed access to returning war daed

http://www.blackfive.net/main/...breaking-news-f.html

BREAKING NEWS: FOXNEWS REPORTS MEDIA TO VIEW WAR DEAD
    Posted By The Wolf

UPDATED UPDATED: THIS IS BREAKING:

The Pentagon is expected to allow some media coverage of returning war dead with approval from their families, the Associated Press reported Thursday.
    AS SOON AS WE CAN GET DETAILS, WE WILL DO SO.

HELL HATH FROZE OVER, AND THE INMATES NOW RUN THE ASYLUM.

The update is:

Shortly after Obama took office, Democratic Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey also asked the White House to roll back the 1991 ban.

Over the years, some exceptions to the policy were made, allowing the media to photograph coffins in some cases, until the administration of President George W. Bush and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A leading military families group has said that the policy, enforced without exception during George W. Bush's presidency, should be changed so that survivors of the dead can decide whether photographers can record their return.
    Now I want to know what military family group requested THIS? NO group that I am aware of, nor associated with, would do such a thing. IAVA? IVAW? I'd like to see the name of the 'military families group' that would dare put families thru such turmoil.

Is there a way for a soldier to sign a disclaimer/denial slip before they deploy, preventing any family from over-ruling them? Seems that would be fair.

I've asked for details from Pentagon sources on this. No replies, as of yet.

UPDATE @1300: I FREAKIN' KNEW IT!! WAS THERE ANY DOUBT CODE PINK OR SOME SUCH WASN'T BEHIND THIS?

The good folks over at ThisAintHell have found this:

One of the family members who favors lifting the ban is Karen Meredith of San Francisco, California, who wrote Obama urging him to order the change.

She’s become friendly with advocacy groups like the Gold Star Families for Peace, Military Families Speak Out and Code Pink. She was asked recently to appear at a counter-military recruitment event, but begged off because it took place on Mother’s Day (although she is quick to note that Mother’s Day started as an antiwar holiday).
    ANYone who doubted that this WAS NOT, NEVER HAS BEEN, AND NEVER WILL BE a 'caring' effort on behalf of soldiers is full of SH*T.

We called BS, we GOT BS...

Dammit, Jim, this don't look good.

Mr Wolf

Now for MY opinion: Just as I suspected, the absolute worst groups imaginable have persevered to get this opened. Now, in some fashion, pics are going to come in from Dover on this. I hate to say it, its ugly to do so, but dammit, it's going to happen- pictures are going to go up on disgusting, infuriating, inflammatory sites that are going to totally disgrace a grieving family.

When that happens, I want a million copies to mail to SecDef Gates's office. And every elected official in Washington. Saying 'this is YOUR fault you have disgraced a soldier today.' And repeat it every time it happens. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Every elected official- Dem or Rep- will answer to this. And more, I'm afraid.
    What the fuck?
    This shit needs to stop, someone needs to find these code pink cunts and fuck their shit up, seriously. Words cannot even begin to explain how wrong this shit is.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Centre County)

Default Re: Media allowed access to returning war daed

I will post the same thing here as I did in the thread by Paradigm.

WASHINGTON – News organizations will be allowed to photograph the homecomings of America's war dead under a new Pentagon policy, defense and congressional officials said Thursday.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates has decided to allow photos of flag-draped caskets at Dover Air Force Base, Del., if the families of the fallen troops agree, the officials told The Associated Press.
    They did include a family consent disclaimer, but overall I think this sucks. The argument about capturing the human cost of war rings hollow. The names are published if the media really cared it could go to every funeral and interview every willing family.

It isn't about capturing the cost of war, it is about being able to easily (our fallen all come through Dover) score points with a photo of a cargo plane with multiple coffins. It has nothing to do with understanding the true human cost of war.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RCN View Post
    I will post the same thing here as I did in the thread by Paradigm.

They did include a family consent disclaimer, but overall I think this sucks. The argument about capturing the human cost of war rings hollow. The names are published if the media really cared it could go to every funeral and interview every willing family.

It isn't about capturing the cost of war, it is about being able to easily (our fallen all come through Dover) score points with a photo of a cargo plane with multiple coffins. It has nothing to do with understanding the true human cost of war.
    I had something vile typed up regarding the photographing of coffins, but decided against it.
    The above statement is much "nicer".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I think we need to send letters to editors of "our" own individual media dung holes and let them know If they take print or show even 1 photo , I for one will never turn on their station or buy another printed page from them!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Somerset County)

It's going to be a long 4 years .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Just fired this quick note to ABC,CBS and NBC in pittsburgh.

I have recently been informed that the rules on taking photos of military dead has been changed. I am writing to inform you that should your company deem this as news worthy, I will never subscribe, purchase or tune into anything affiliated with this station again. I am drawing a line at this. The names are public info. and more than enough. I see no reason to put the families through anymore!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Northampton County)

Thumbs down Re: Media allowed access to returning war daed

HUZZAH!!! And the circle is complete.

The 60's radical, hippies now have their war casualties shown on the evening news. Just like Vietnam! Peace, love and happiness MAN!

Except now it is the 24-hour news cycle. And this is NOT the 60's. And Iraq is NOT Vietnam. And Afghanistan is NOT Cambodia.

How much more must we tolerate?

So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Lehigh County)

If the faimily has no problem with it, who the hell is anyone here to say its right or wrong?

It's not your son/daughter.

(Montgomery County)

This is just flat out wrong.

Well if the family ok's it they should just show their son's, daughter's, brother's, or father's casket
    Last edited by Roscoe; February 26th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
    HUZZAH!!! And the circle is complete.

The 60's radical, hippies now have their war casualties shown on the evening news. Just like Vietnam! Peace, love and happiness MAN!

Except now it is the 24-hour news cycle. And this is NOT the 60's. And Iraq is NOT Vietnam. And Afghanistan is NOT Cambodia.

How much more must we tolerate?

Yes, because God FORBID people have to be reminded about what war is about..

Death, Bodies, and Suffering.

There are few things that piss me of more then listening to some jackass (not you personally) saying "We need to invade and kill all those arab's over there!" But refuse to sign up and actually put their own ass on the line.

Amazing how many people are willing to go to war as long as it's someone else doing the fighting.. or someone else's son/daughter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast