Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Attraction of AR-15?

I suppose I'm 'old school' when it comes to rifles, but I've never seen a 'purpose' for AR-15 or similar type rifles. I've always owned nice hi-power rifles with either nicely figured walnut stocks or synthetic stocks. They're highly accurate and served me nicely in pursuit of various game.

I happen to like the look of some of the (for lack of better term.....I realize this is a loaded word) 'assault' guns. I'm actually thinking of buying one.

But what purpose do they serve? Can they match the accuracy of my beloved hunting rifles? Are they just fun to shoot?

Just curious.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Attraction of AR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrust View Post
    I suppose I'm 'old school' when it comes to rifles, but I've never seen a 'purpose' for AR-15 or similar type rifles. I've always owned nice hi-power rifles with either nicely figured walnut stocks or synthetic stocks. They're highly accurate and served me nicely in pursuit of various game.

I happen to like the look of some of the (for lack of better term.....I realize this is a loaded word) 'assault' guns. I'm actually thinking of buying one.

But what purpose do they serve? Can they match the accuracy of my beloved hunting rifles? Are they just fun to shoot?

Just curious.
    The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. If the SHTF... I'd rather have a gun designed for combat, not hunting.

(Bucks County)

Just curious.
    They can be very accurate with the right setup of optics, barrel and ammo. They are also fun as hell to shoot. I love mine.

(Westmoreland County)

AR-15 and similar weapons puts us on the same playing field

(York County)

For me, AR-15's are fun to shoot. As others have written, they are also excellent rifles for defense. IMHO, a civil breakdown is a distinct possibility...and an AR type rifle would be the one to have.
    Now, I'm not a hunter...good sport, but not for me. So, I have no interest or need of a hunting rifle.
    Our common link is the love and enjoyment of shooting sports, regardless of the platform.

(Allegheny County)

If you live in a rural enough area they make a great home defense gun.

There are a million accessories and things you can do to them. If you like to tinker you will be set for life, its tons of fun with the AR.

And if we could use semi's here, the .223 is a nice flat shooting varmint round.

(Allegheny County)

Because these...

aren't as effective as these...

(OK, it's not an AR-15, but you get the point)

When your don't need to fight hordes of invading whitetail deer.

All kidding aside(sort of), I haven't hunted in years, and I have very little interest in shooting out past 200/300 yards, so there is no attraction to a finely tuned deer/target rifle for me.

In a nutshell, I find my AR to be a valuable asset if things go sour.
    It can reach out there if needed, can be used for taking game(although not legal in PA - it will do if the law changes, or law breaks down), and is well suited for self defense.
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 26th, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Just curious.
    Purpose:
    1. Home Defense (its the one I grab when things go bump in the night)
    2. Competition (there are shooting sports geared specifically for this rifle)
    3. Hunting (in states that allow semi-auto)
    4. Nostalgia (lots of ex-military like to have one for ol' times sake)
    5. Tinkering (as previously stated, you can customize to your heart's desire)
    6. SHTF (in the event that all hell breaks loose)
    7. General target shooting (they are very fun to shoot and can hit targets very far away)
    8. To piss off liberal anti-2nd Amendment douche bags that don't think you should be allowed to own one!

Accuracy:
    If set up properly they can meet or exceed your hunting rifle's accuracy. AR-15s (M16s) were never designed for "spray and pray" movie theater combat. That's why in the army you're trained to hit man size targets at 300 meters. I think the Marines may actually shoot a little farther than that. And I've seen AR-10 type rifles shoot pretty well at some competitions out to 1000 yards.

(Allegheny County)

Troll huntin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Because these...

aren't as effective as these...

(OK, it's not an AR-15, but you get the point)

When your don't need to fight hordes of invading whitetail deer.

All kidding aside(sort of), I haven't hunted in years, and I have very little interest in shooting out past 200/300 yards, so there is no attraction to a finely tuned deer/target rifle for me.

In a nutshell, I find my AR to be a valuable asset if things go sour.
    It can reach out there if needed, can be used for taking game(although not legal in PA - it will do if the law changes, or law breaks down), and is well suited for self defense.
    LMAO! That was a great explanation!

Also, I hope my initial post didn't convey the impression I was questioning one's decision to own one (or the legality thereof), simply I just wanted to know the strengths and weaknesses.

Much thanks! BTW, 'black guns' (is that the more innocuous term?) look killer.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast