Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default revolver vs auto

question, new to firearms, i wanna know everyones opinions on a revolver and automatics, what does everyone prefer? i was thinking picking up a 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. i figure i cant hunt with it and carry for when im out n about, also i know you can shoot 38 special bullets as well. its great you kinda get 2 guns in one..

(Monroe County)

Default Re: revolver vs auto

I favor semi autos for better capacity and triggers.

BTW you can swap out barrels on many semi autos to fire different calibers.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Perry County)

I currently have a S&W .357 model 686 w/4" barrel. I bought it as my first handgun, partially because I got a really good deal on it. While I really enjoy shooting it, I find it is rather larger and uncomfortable for carry, so I am thinking about getting a semi-auto.

I really like the revolver to get started with handguns because they are simple and reliable. As I said though, my model is just a bit big from my small frame (5'-10'-ish, 185 lbs).
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by xd9 View Post
    question, new to firearms, i wanna know everyones opinions on a revolver and automatics,....
    thats a big one, large enough to make for hard feelings.
    could also be called a pot stirrer, just to see what happens.....

i've been on a wheel gun bender.
    you can get much larger calibers in teh revolvers. several calibers cross over....38spl/357....44spl/44mag.
    revolvers are more American than auto's........
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Philadelphia County)

question, new to firearms, i wanna know everyones opinions on a revolver and automatics, what does everyone prefer? i was thinking picking up a 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. i figure i cant hunt with it and carry for when im out n about, also i know you can shoot 38 special bullets as well. its great you kinda get 2 guns in one..
    Revolvers are nice because:

They are hard to jam by limp-wristing

It's pretty easy to change the grip

You can fire .38 sp and .357 mag

You can clean them without taking them apart

The long, heavy DA trigger pull is relatively hard to do unintentionally

No magazines to buy and maintain

The American revolvers are the best in the world, and Rugers are some of the toughest guns around

Semi-autos are nice because:

Wider choice of cartridges (alas you can't shoot two out of one gun without a replacement bbl, but you have a better choice between guns)

Faster to reload

More capacity without reloading

The Glock / XD / 1911 triggers make it easier to shoot accurately

The SA action absorbs some recoil

Lighter and easier to conceal for the same firepower

(York County)

Man, you've got to work on your spelling and english! Also, punctuation and use of capitalization...

(Bucks County)

What do you mean you cannot fire different rounds out of an auto? One of my pistols does three different rounds. It fires shorts, longs, and long rifles.

I am leaning towards revolvers at the range because more time and thought goes into each round fired. To me it means better practice.

Hunting I prefer autos because there is less noise. There is one in the chamber ready to go bang. All you have to do is slide it out of the holster, slide off the safety, and squeeze. When I say holster, I am not talking about a tight concealed carry holster. I am talking about a hunting / work holster. I could never carry a revolver with the hammer back but that is me.

Carrying while working on the farm I prefer a revolver. They are tack drivers and always go bang. When I am working stealth is not required but it is required the problem goes away.

They are different tools that work different ways. Since I do not do that much hunting anymore, If I had to own only one, it would be a 357 revolver.
    Last edited by Jim1911; February 25th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Just depends, for hunting i prefer a large revolver to go along with my rifle. For carry I like a small frame revolver for my #1 choice, and for my second choice I like a compact semi-auto like a Defender/Glock 26, M&P C, etc. For a range gun I love bringing out 1911's and my other guns although I wouldnt mind carrying these guns on me every once in a while, but they are to big and bulky to carry consistently for me anyways.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Columbia County)

Hunting I prefer autos because there is less noise. There is one in the chamber ready to go bang.
    Last time I checked "autos" were ILLEGAL to hunt with in Pa.... though I could be wrong but I don't think so.

A revolver will offer many more choices of ammo/loads for hunting purposes and will not suffer malfunction from pocket lint or trail debris. It's also much easier to slip in a 38 special or 357 round than it is to change out a barrel when you're in the field.
    Last edited by Bearhands; February 25th, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
    Congrats to all the Sheeple.... I just hope that mutton isn't on the menu.

I much prefer revolvers for defensive carry and sport. Though I also really like semi-autos.

I'm a gun slut.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast