Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Transitioning from OC in DE to OC in PA?

Over on DELOC.org were discussing the differences and how one can OC from one state to the other.

In DE, we can OC in the car it has to be visible on the passenger seat, or in a visibly mounted holster, or on the dash! However; in PA, there's no provision for OC in a car, so how does one get from home to someplace where you intend to OC?

Our amateur interpretation of the PA Code leads us to believe that transportation (unloaded in the trunk ammo separate) is only legal to or from a range. If that's the case, then???

Personally, I have a FL License so, as I approach the PA state line, I slip my Colt into my Serpa, and all is well with the world, but not so with many of my friends...

HELP!

Default Re: Transitioning from OC in DE to OC in PA?

Any state that has reciprocity with PA, permit/license works.

A person with such permit, may have the firearm loaned to them, in PA.
    I transported for sfn's glock for her, during her fiasco.

If I am wrong, someone more knowledgeable will step-up.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Any state that has reciprocity with PA, permit/license works.

A person with such permit, may have the firearm loaned to them, in PA.
    I transported for sfn's glock for her, during her fiasco.

If I am wrong, someone more knowledgeable will step-up.
    Any state license/permit at all works for vehicle carry, it does not have to be one with reciprocity.

Reciprocity would cover you for CC.

Have a license/permit from somewhere. Put the gun anywhere you like in the car, in any condition you like (bearing in mind social norms that may get you into coversations that involve a lot of phrases like "am I being detained"). Get out of car at destination and OC away.

ETA: If the person has no license they will have to "lend" their gun to a licensed person, or walk from the border.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

To carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle in Pa, you need a Pa LTCF or one that has reciprocity with Pa. In a vehicle it's considered concealed in Pa.

The LTCF is a License to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    To carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle in Pa, you need a Pa LTCF or one that has reciprocity with Pa. In a vehicle it's considered concealed in Pa.

The LTCF is a License to carry concealed or in a vehicle.
    And to open carry in Philly and to carry in a declared emergency

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    To carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle in Pa, you need a Pa LTCF or one that has reciprocity with Pa.
    Nope. Reciprocity is only required for CC. ANY license is valid for carry in a vehicle.
    §6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b)Exceptions
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle which, person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Nope. Reciprocity is only required for CC. ANY license is valid for carry in a vehicle.
    Thank you.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    A person with such permit, may have the firearm loaned to them, in PA. I transported for sfn's Glock for her, during her fiasco.
    So... practically speaking...

OC is only reasonably possible in PA if you have a LTCF; since you can't transport your firearm without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_in_Delaware View Post
    So... practically speaking...

OC is only reasonably possible in PA if you have a LTCF; since you can't transport your firearm without one.
    OC is completely possible, transport is the issue, as others have pointed out, vehicle carry is Ok, with any permit/license.

If someone doesn't have a permit/license, they can "loan the firearm to a permit/license holder" until they get to their destination.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_in_Delaware View Post
    Over on DELOC.org were discussing the differences and how one can OC from one state to the other.

In DE, we can OC in the car it has to be visible on the passenger seat, or in a visibly mounted holster, or on the dash! However; in PA, there's no provision for OC in a car, so how does one get from home to someplace where you intend to OC?

Our amateur interpretation of the PA Code leads us to believe that transportation (unloaded in the trunk ammo separate) is only legal to or from a range. If that's the case, then???

Personally, I have a FL License so, as I approach the PA state line, I slip my Colt into my Serpa, and all is well with the world, but not so with many of my friends...

HELP!
    As several others have answered, if your with a LTCF holder (and you do not hold one) he can transport the gun.

If your by yourself legally you can bring your OCW unless your going from the place of purchase, to or from a range, to or from a gunsmith, and most likely I am missing one or two but I'm confident someone will chime in.