Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Just Starting Out

The post by InvisibleGuest has helped me somewhat, but I think he's a little further down the road then I am.

Similar to IG, I've grown-up shooting rifles and shotguns. I grew-up in NJ, but now live in PA and I see the gun laws are much more relaxed.

I have a few basic questions and I hope to purchase a very basic pistol sometime soon ... maybe Glock 17 or 19.

I live outside of Philadelphia, most people have recommended Ready-Aim-Fire, but it seems very expensive.

- Where can I go to shoot, cheap? I'll also need to rent a gun.
    - Do you suggest trying a gun (renting) first before buying?
    - Does one need an LTCF to buy a pistol?

I think that's all I need, atm. If you want to weigh-in and point out some considerations I've overlooked, be my guest.

Thanks for the help!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Just Starting Out

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeSki2001 View Post
    Do you suggest trying a gun (renting) first before buying?
    absolutely...if at all possible, try before buy. it is very important how the pistol fits in your hand and how it feels to you when shooting. what might be the perfect pistol for one person could be terrible for someone else.

Does one need an LTCF to buy a pistol?
    nope. you do need an LTCF to carry it concealed...or open in philly.

having an LTCF before buying the pistol will make taking it home from the gun shop easier, though. if you don't have an LTCF, it is best to lock it in the trunk. make sure to keep the magazines and any ammo in a separate container.

if you do have an LTCF, you can take it home however you want.

btw, i have a glock 17 and love it. the only reason, imho, to consider the 19 instead of the 17 is if you plan to carry it and think you will have trouble concealing it. personally, i have no trouble concealing the 17.

(Chester County)

French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, PA has a range and they let you rent guns. It's a bit of a drive out of the city, but might be well worth your time.

At the very least it may help you decide what caliber you want to purchase. Check out the Taurus models too. I've got small hands and the 24/7 Pro fits me well.

(Bucks County)

Welcome to the forum XtremeSki2001,
    Rent before you buy, and ask at the rental counter what they think about your situation. Most will be very helpful.
    RAF in Bristol may be a bit more expensive than other ranges, but they have a big selection of rental guns and you can shoot there while not being a member. The staff there is top rate!
    Don't need the permit to buy as LittleRed mentioned but get one anyway.
    Some say that the Firing Line, in Philly, is an inexpensive place to shoot. Up this way there is the Langhorne Rod and Gun Club and The Falls Township Rifle and Gun Club to give you greater options in shooting.
    Membership in the PAFOA has it's advantages, don't leave home without us...Mike45

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys. May just have to take the money and checkout RAF and see what it's all about.

Would everyone suggest buying used? I guess it boils down to personal preference.

My cousin lives in GA and owns two rifles ... he can shoot it on any public/gov't land (not sure which), is this the case in some areas of PA? Or must you own the land or be on a designated range?

(Allegheny County)

Would everyone suggest buying used? I guess it boils down to personal preference.
    i would say go ahead and buy used...especially if you do decide to get a glock. they are just about indestructable, so you're not really taking much of a chance when you buy a used one.

(another good thing, imho, about buying a used glock is you can get one without the finger grooves. all the new ones...unless you find an older new one that just was never used...have the finger grooves. some people like them, but i don't. try one out and see if they fit your fingers before buying.)

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks, LRT.

What's the difference between CCW and LTCF?

Curious if there is a thread covering the LTCF and what's involved? Probably a similar test to what I took for my hunting permit?

Thanks, LRT.

What's the difference between CCW and LTCF?

Curious if there is a thread covering the LTCF and what's involved? Probably a similar test to what I took for my hunting permit?
    CCW and LTCF are basicly the same thing just a different acronym.

No class required, just go to your county court house and fill out your paperwork and have 3 references ready to put on your app.

CCWP: Carry Concealed Weapons Permit
    LTCF: Liscense To Carry a Firearm
    CPL: Concealed Pistol Liscense

CCWP is kind of a bad term as it implies that it is for ANY conceled weapon, but in most cases it only covers firearms.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

yeah, different states just call their permits different things.

in PA, it is called an LTCF (license to carry firearms).

sometimes people use the term CCW as a generic catch-all.

also, sometimes people use the term CCW to mean "carrying a concealed weapon" as in "can you CCW at work?"

so, you could say that a PA LTCF allows you to CCW in PA.