Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Rent DVD's on Firearms and Techniques

Found this site on the internet. I gave it a try. Not bad really. Instead of buying the DVD's you can rent them. They have a nice selection of DVD's on Firearms. They have on section called Firearms University and it is about 30 or more DVD's that you can rent just on pistol craft.

Sure beats buying them to find out it really isn't any good. (Something I learned. I knew all the stuff in the last 4 DVD's I rented. I would have been pissed if I had bought them for $130. Rented them for about $25.)

Pistol craft / AK's / AR's / Gun smithing / engraving and lots more. Check it out.

http://smartflix.com/store/category/113/Firearms
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Rent DVD's on Firearms and Techniques

That's a cool link thanks. Can you copy the DVD's and then return them,have you tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    That's a cool link thanks. Can you copy the DVD's and then return them,have you tried that?
    I wouldn't be condoning that if I were you.

(Allegheny County)

Very cool. Wish it operated more like netflix though-- no return date. But the unique selection of videos is enticing.

As a person who has made two DVDs and sells them all over the world, there are two things wrong with this. The first one is that it is illegal. It is a crime that if extremely difficult to discover and prosecute, but it is a crime nonetheless.

Second, there is the ethical issue. Legality aside, once you get outside of Hollywood, the people who do this kind of stuff are not getting rich. Yeah, it is a decent part of my income, but a lot of people would laugh at my gross income every year. When it gets down to net, it is even worse. Bootlegging them really cuts into the effort that people put into these things by stealing income and sapping incentive. When it gets bad enough, people stop making them, and then we are all left without a valuable resource.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    As a person who has made two DVDs and sells them all over the world, there are two things wrong with this. The first one is that it is illegal. It is a crime that if extremely difficult to discover and prosecute, but it is a crime nonetheless.

Second, there is the ethical issue. Legality aside, once you get outside of Hollywood, the people who do this kind of stuff are not getting rich. Yeah, it is a decent part of my income, but a lot of people would laugh at my gross income every year. When it gets down to net, it is even worse. Bootlegging them really cuts into the effort that people put into these things by stealing income and sapping incentive. When it gets bad enough, people stop making them, and then we are all left without a valuable resource.
    It's a mistake to automatically assume that anyone that copies DVDs will bootleg them only to sell for profit. As consumers we have a right to make use the product that we purchase. In the TV entertainment world this is called time-shifting. Courts have ruled that we can record a show or movie off of TV to watch later at our convenience-- these home recordings are considered fair use and do not violate copyrights.

I personally believe the same is true for renting DVDs. If we pay to watch the DVD, but are not capable of watching it in the allotted time frame, we can record them to watch later at our convenience-- this is no different than VHS recorders or TiVO. However, those recorded DVDs can not be used for profit and should be destroyed once watched.

(Delaware County)

My question was so I can keep them for my own reference and library. Why do people ASSUME the wrongs things and then make accusations. Maybe you should speak up know and say sorry for jumping to conclusions.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2freedom View Post
    I personally believe the same is true for renting DVDs. If we pay to watch the DVD, but are not capable of watching it in the allotted time frame, we can record them to watch later at our convenience-- this is no different than VHS recorders or TiVO. However, those recorded DVDs can not be used for profit and should be destroyed once watched.
    You can have whatever personal beliefs you want. Its still illegal though.

If I had to list 10 things that piss me off beyond belief:
    people that cheat, steal, and pirate digital media while trying to make up some BS claim that is not bad make the list.

It amazes me beyond belief how ignorant and disrespectful some people are. "Its not stealing" my ass.

Also, try rereading your laws. Recording broadcast media is different than recording rented dvds or vhs. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

There is a reason it costs more to buy a dvd than to rent it. Buying it you are acquiring the right to keep a personal copy. Renting it you are not. its really quite simple. When you rent a car, there is a reason they make you return it... you didn't buy it. Same concept.

EDIT (again): I want to clarify I am NOT trying to attack you specifically addicted2freedom. After rereading my post I come off very hostile to you in particular... I do not intend it that way. I am simply using your quote to springboard my anger. I do not know if you pirate or not, so I have no place to accuse you of anything. Sorry for coming off so hostile to you
    Last edited by Asterix909; March 11th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

My question was so I can keep them for my own reference and library. Why do people ASSUME the wrongs things and then make accusations. Maybe you should speak up know and say sorry for jumping to conclusions.
    Keeping them would be a no-no. You should buy them after renting them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix909 View Post
    You can have whatever personal beliefs you want. Its still illegal though.

If I had to list 10 things that piss me off beyond belief:
    people that cheat, steal, and pirate digital media while trying to make up some BS claim that is not bad make the list.

It amazes me beyond belief how ignorant and disrespectful some people are. "Its not stealing" my ass.

Also, try rereading your laws. Recording broadcast media is different than recording rented dvds or vhs. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.
    I was not citing a law for DVDs. I was using it as the basis for my personal belief, which you somehow contorted to mean I supported pirating DVDs.

How is copying a DVD that you rented (paid for) so that you could watch it later, cheating, stealing, or pirating? -- especially if you destroy the DVD after watching it? You're not keeping it permanently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast