One of the things that I try to share our love of guns is take out interested new shooters out to the range. Sometimes folks might have fired a gun a few times before and very often they have never shot a gun in their life.

On average I guess I invite out about 10 new people a year. Most of the time, they approach me asking if I will take them out shooting, but often I'm the one suggesting that they give it a try.

I hear the same thing everywhere, and agree that the women generally are the better shooters. They listen to what basic instruction I can provide, are safe, methodical and quickly overcome whatever societal programming they have to be girlie. Whereas the men either think that shooting is in their DNA or give up too quickly if they don't instantly excel at it.

Most of these people are non-gun friends who I am trying to introduce to the shooting sports, so that we can have one more cool thing that we do together. While most have fun and want to come back every few months to shoot my guns again, only about 25% take the leap and buy their own firearms, grab carry permits, and begin down their own paths.

Yesterday, I took a very old friend who I hadn't seen in years out. He looks like he is going to be one of the 25%, and is looking at entry-level used pistols or a shotgun.

So, I was just wondering if others on here wanted to post any suggestions or experiences about how they introduce friends to shooting.