Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Threaded bead on shotgun broke.

I tried to remove the front bead on a Rem 870 to replace it with a tru-glo unit and it sheered off. Of course its flush with the raised lip on the barrel. Any suggestions? I figured there was red locktite on it but I didnt want to heat it cause I was worried Id mess up the finish. Now Ive got no front sight.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Threaded bead on shotgun broke.

That depends on your skill with tools. I would:
    1. Mount the gun in a vise or clamp of some type. Be carefull not to apply too much force on the barrel.
    2. Take a springloaded center punch and mark the very center of the threaded shaft.
    3. Using a very small lefthanded drill bit (no more than 1/2 the size of the shaft) try to gauge how deep the mounting hole is for the sight, you can use the new sight for this as well. Place a piece of tape marking the maximum depth you want to go. (should not be very deep)
    4. Very carefully drill (in reverse on your drill) the stud out of the barrel. If it is not in too tight, it may just back out when the drill bit "bites" into the metal. Do not go deeper than your mark on the drill bit. If the shaft does not come out with the drill you can use an EZ out and a wrench.

You could use some 2x4s to make a brace/stand to keep the gun stable instead of a vise.

If you are not good with tools take it to a gunsmith...
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

Pretty standard job for most 'smiths....should not cost to much to fix if you don't want to try doing it yourself.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Use a High Viz magnetic, you will not need to screw it in at all
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Use a High Viz magnetic, you will not need to screw it in at all
    Mine was held on with double sided tape for years. The tape you get with the universal clipdraw is awsome!!!

Or you can just get one of those little dremel drill bits and carefully drill that shit out and tap it the next bigger size. IIRC my fiber optic front came with a few different sized threads.

(Luzerne County)

Beads are normally secured with loc-tite

Proper heating (heat the bead till the LT melts) will not harm the finish...

Now that it is broke, it will need to drilled, heated and extracted.
    No biggie with the right tools

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lebanon County)

Note;
    Some mechanics, and I'm sure some gunsmiths as well, will charge more if you tried to fix it first. Not because they want to "teach you a lesson", but because you've done more damage and made the repair more difficult.
    In other words, if you aren't sure of yourself, let a professional do it right the first time. Not only will the cost be minimal, you won't have to waste those nasty words and the time it takes to get into the situation where you start to utter them.
    Besides that, they already have the proper tools. If you don't have a well stocked tool box or a friend who has one and you have to buy a drill bit, center punch, EZ out, tap and tap handle you'll probably be spending more than you'd pay a smith to do it.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. I have just one more question. How much heat is required to loosen the locktite? Im not sure if were talking about a hair dryer here, candle or torch. Thanks again, Brian

(Franklin County)

Probably too late for this job (?), but I use a small soldering iron, put heat directly on the screw (bead) but not the surrounding metal. I heat until the surrounding metal is very warm to the touch. Kind of a PITA to do, but safe - no possible damage.