Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bullet Differences

New to reloading and good luck so far. I have a question in regards to pistol bullets. There is a huge range in pricing between Jacketed and the likes of Barrys Plated. Compared to Speers in a 45 acp SWC 185g you can get 150 bullets more for less then 100 of the Speers. Wondering how different they are. My goal is accuracy in pistol Bullseye.
    Thanks for any help.
    Any other bullet recommendations would be appreciated.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Bullet Differences

Believe it or not the best accuracy is obtained with a lead semi-wadcutter. There are a lot of good ones out there. Me, I make my own. Most bullseye guys I know use either a 185gr or 200gr LSWC with a light load even to the point of getting a lighter (12lb usually) recoil spring for a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    New to reloading and good luck so far. I have a question in regards to pistol bullets. There is a huge range in pricing between Jacketed and the likes of Barrys Plated. Compared to Speers in a 45 acp SWC 185g you can get 150 bullets more for less then 100 of the Speers. Wondering how different they are. My goal is accuracy in pistol Bullseye.
    Thanks for any help.
    Any other bullet recommendations would be appreciated.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Believe it or not the best accuracy is obtained with a lead semi-wadcutter. There are a lot of good ones out there. Me, I make my own. Most bullseye guys I know use either a 185gr or 200gr LSWC with a light load even to the point of getting a lighter (12lb usually) recoil spring for a 1911.
    Then would the plated ones work as well or is straight lead better. I have heard that the lead can cause problems with the residue left and also the smell and smoke indoors. Or is this not the case. Also do not want to do my own right now if straight lead is the way to go who makes the best?

You have to load the plated ones the same as lead. I found that out from going to the Berry's web site. I get my best shots using a simi-wadcutter 225 gr. lead and a mid range load. I've tried the JHP and JSP and have always gone back to a lead load in both 225 LSWC and 230 ball.

I would of never guessed lead to be more accurate. Interesting why would one choose jacketed then over lead for Bullseye.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I would of never guessed lead to be more accurate. Interesting why would one choose jacketed then over lead for Bullseye.
    With environmental issues nowadays, indoor ranges do not allow lead. Also the jacketed rounds are used for high velocities.
    Lead is not that messy if kept at lower velocity. However, jacketed is a lot cleaner. If you are like me and clean your weapon after every range trip, it really doesn't matter. I have not noticed any smell and the smoke would have more to do with the powder used.
    I really like Oregon Trail for the all lead bullets. They are about the "hardest" I have found so that lends to cleaner firing.
    I too agree that lead can be more accurate. I like 200 SWC for .45.
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

I must admit Oregon Trail does look great. Do you know if they do smaller amounts to experiment with to find "your Bullet"

It would not hurt to ask if they could make you up a 100 pack of different bullets. Kind of a sample pack to see what works. 20 200gr RN, 20 200gr SWC, 20 220 RN, 20 220 SWC and 20 230 RN. They might do it. If the do, let the rest of us know so we can order.