Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How safely to remove adhesive from metal, wood?

Hello, this is not (LOL) related to my other thread asking for which glue to use to put medallions on my pistol grips!

No, instead, I have a Browning BPS 12 gauge I hunted deer and turkey with for 7 years, then moved to a different state where, I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't hunted either for the last 7 years, and I had the shotgun wrapped/stripped in that commercial camo tape, especially to help with wily turkeys, the tape that says it leaves no residue when you go to unpeel it. Well, that might have worked if I had taken it off each year and reapplied as needed, but now, 14 years later, with the tape having never come off until last week when I wanted to check the chamber size markings, it's left a yucky sticky mess on the wood and metal. I can rub and rub and get a lot off, but I'd like a complete and easy way, and I'm afraid to use any solvents at all, including rags lightly treated with alcohol or gas, as I fear that will kill my wood and metal finishes (right?).

So, any suggestions for how to remove that ugly adhesive buildup and not throw out the baby with the bath solvent?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How safely to remove adhesive from metal, wood?

WD-40 is a great cleaner for removing the goo. It shouldn't hurt the finish on the wood stock, as long as you clean off the 40 from the stock.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JBubba57 View Post
    Hello, this is not (LOL) related to my other thread asking for which glue to use to put medallions on my pistol grips!

No, instead, I have a Browning BPS 12 gauge I hunted deer and turkey with for 7 years, then moved to a different state where, I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't hunted either for the last 7 years, and I had the shotgun wrapped/stripped in that commercial camo tape, especially to help with wily turkeys, the tape that says it leaves no residue when you go to unpeel it. Well, that might have worked if I had taken it off each year and reapplied as needed, but now, 14 years later, with the tape having never come off until last week when I wanted to check the chamber size markings, it's left a yucky sticky mess on the wood and metal. I can rub and rub and get a lot off, but I'd like a complete and easy way, and I'm afraid to use any solvents at all, including rags lightly treated with alcohol or gas, as I fear that will kill my wood and metal finishes (right?).

So, any suggestions for how to remove that ugly adhesive buildup and not throw out the baby with the bath solvent?

believe it or not, vaseline, or WD40 would work. most petroleum distillates would work, actually. it'll take a bit of work, but most adhesives are latex based; pertroleum eats away and dissolves latex (no vaseline for condoms, get it?). i've used vaseline, or lighter fluid, or WD40, to get rid of glue on glass tops, metal, wood, you name it. plus, these won't eat away at the wood finish, or the metal.

(Lebanon County)

I've used baby oil and cooking oil with moderate to good success to get stickers, tape and such undesirable things off of items that I was afraid to use solvents on. It seems to work well but slow, you aren't going to wipe it on then wipe it off, you have to let it work for a good long time.
    I haven't had the time to try to get the camo tape off of the Winchester Model 12 that my dad gave me. He told me to try kerosene. I'm not so sure I want to try that, I'll try something less aggressive first.
    I strongly suggest testing anything you decide to use on a small inconspicuous spot before you saturate the whole gun.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Washington County)

If the milder stuff doesn't do it, the best solvent i've found for removing adhesive residue is electrical contact cleaner or brake parts cleaner. both are very strong solvents, but they shouldn't attack the bluing on your gun. they may affect the finish of wood, so use carefully. one advantage is that they work very quickly, so you may be able to spray it on the rag, and rub the goo off before it has any effect on the wood finish. as always, spot check in an inconspicuous place.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lebanon County)

Look for a product called goo gone. It works, won't harm finishes. Can leave an oily residue, but it washes off.

zippo fluid...works even on plastics.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Those are terrific suggestions, guys! I've already tried the WD-40 to remove adhesive from stickers on several blued magazines, and it works like a charm--even wets the left over pieces of paper sticker and makes them easier to peel/scrape with fingernails--so I look forward to using it and baby oil and other gentle household agents as noted above to get the goo off the shotgun.

Thanks again. It is a wonderful resource to have all of you out there pitching in suggestions and comments, especially since you're all PLU.

(PLU= people like us !).

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx

I should not even need to mention this, I thought it was already in every house in America...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx

I should not even need to mention this, I thought it was already in every house in America...
    I never even heard of the stuff until I saw it in the reply by nijwnfi.
    (See #6)
    That looks like something I may have to get.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast