Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1874 Sharps Replicas

I'm considering the purchase of a Sharps replica (Uberti) - am I right in assuming that these replicas are made for factory smokeless powder loads? Really didn't give it a second thought until I read an article by Mike Venturino that talked about using only black powder cartridges - but it was unclear whether this was just a preference or a requirement. Thanks for any help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: 1874 Sharps Replicas

no you are not right in assuming. it could just be a bp gun.
    you would think it could handle smokeless, but do not assume.
    why would you want to shoot anything but bp out of it.
    fullhouse black powder rounds are a blast in 45-70 govie.

local shop has one.....that the more i think about, the more i hope it's still there.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

Ubertis are fine rifles. it is OK to use smokeless powder in them. Most of the chamberings can be loaded with either smokeless or black powder. A word of caution, black powder becomes corrosive if not cleaned properly. The rifle will have to be stripped down to its componants and cleaned thoroughly.
    This is my 1874 built by C. Sharps in Montana. It is a Grade 2 Boss Gun in .45-90. Even had my initials engraved on the rifle. I have shot black powder and smokeless through the gun. Have to admit black powder is a hoot. Pain to load, pain to clean, blast to shoot.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Jeff:

Thanks for the reply - that's what I thought, but for some reason found myself second guessing what I knew was correct in the first place.

I'm looking at the rifle as a vehicle for cast bullet shooting - and while, yes, black powder is cool, really didn't want to put up with the hassle of cleaning and the mess.

I see that your rifle has the vernier tang sight, as does the one I'm considering - do you know what bullet weight / velocity these were calibrated with? Again an assumption - assume they are marked 100 yds, 200 yds etc, rather than just reference numbers - which means they must have used a specific bullet weight & velocity to arrive at the gaduations marked on the sight. I know most commercial loadings are around 300 gr, but I'm thinking the original lead bullet load for .45-70 was closer to 400 gr.

I see you live in Langhorne - maybe we can meet at Starbucks in Yardley and I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can discuss this FTF. Thanks again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Jefferson County)

You have to remember, smokeless may be okay, but the main concern is pressure. With exception of maybe a couple reproductions, the Sharps designs are all limited to the level 1 pressures with the 45-70 - 28KPSI.

Level 1 is called "Trapdoor" loads equivalent to max blackpowder pressures. The same pressure level applies to its bigger brothers too: 45-90, 45-100, 45-110, and 45-120. All of which you will have to keep at 28K. Winchester, Remington, and Hornady's factory loads are level 1. The more stout Buffalo Bore and some of the other custom ammo is level 2 "Marlin levergun/modern" and level 3 "Ruger #1".

I think C.Sharps and Pedersoli reproductions may be level 2 approved, but you're definitely will want to check first prior to popping in a 28-45KPSI level 2 load and frag a fine gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

As far as pressure is concerned when I ordered the rifle I spoke to the owner of C. Sharps Arms. He told me to use any listed loads I found. Actually, I am not interested in abusing the rifle. My loads are on the mild to moderate side.
    But, like I said, the BP loads are fun. Different sound and with all the smoke WOW! Another bison bites the dust.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Bucks County)

Bob, The Vernier sight on my rifle is not calibrated for any particular cartridge. I had to do alot of shooting to figure out sight settings. The original .45-70 was 405 grs. I use 300 gr. JSP's, 300 gr. lead, and 500 gr. lead in my .45-90. Mos of the loads I use are the "high end" .45-70 loads. The only time I use full power .45-90 loads is with BP because you need to fill the case. The vernier sight is a series of reference lines No ranges given scribed on the sight.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Bucks County)

Uberti doesn't make an 1874 Sharps replica, they make an 1885 Highwall replica. Pedersoli makes the '74 Sharps, I have a 34" Sharps in .45-70 that I purchased from Calbela's and a .54 Sharps percussion musket. Like them both.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

(Bucks County)

Ppsh41,

According to Uberti's web sight they do make an 1874. Now is it made by Uberti or someone else? Don't know.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Jefferson County)

Uberti may assemble and rollstamp them, but the parts are Pedersoli for sure.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast