Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Springfield XD-M 9mm Ammo Suggestions

When I bought my Springfield XD-M, I bought a box of CCI Lawman (124gr?) FMJ for plinking and a box of Federal Premium 147gr Hydra-Shok FMJ for zombies.

Call me paranoid, but I expect ammo prices along with everything else in the world to rise significantly in the next few months. Therefore, I'd like to stock up on some 9mm ammo.

I doubt that I'll be able to get to a range to test these rounds anytime soon. Anyone have experience with these rounds in the XD-M? Are they good to run through the XD-M (clean, no jams, accurate, etc.)?

Would appreciate suggestions for plinking and zombie killing rounds. Thanks!

Default Re: Springfield XD-M 9mm Ammo Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2freedom View Post
    When I bought my Springfield XD-M, I bought a box of CCI Lawman (124gr?) FMJ for plinking and a box of Federal Premium 147gr Hydra-Shok FMJ for zombies.

Call me paranoid, but I expect ammo prices along with everything else in the world to rise significantly in the next few months. Therefore, I'd like to stock up on some 9mm ammo.

I doubt that I'll be able to get to a range to test these rounds anytime soon. Anyone have experience with these rounds in the XD-M? Are they good to run through the XD-M (clean, no jams, accurate, etc.)?

Would appreciate suggestions for plinking and zombie killing rounds. Thanks!
    Shoot what the gun likes......

(Monroe County)

For plinking try that cheap reman stuff cabelas sells. Ultramax. I've put 2000 or so rounds though my Xd9. Only problem is that my Xd seems to be a little more dirty when I clean it after using it.

(Bucks County)

The XDm is a great firearm and the generall consensus is that it eats most any amo like candy.

For target shooting I have used Federal & WWB FMJ without any problems. I also have some Federal Hydra-Shok for SD/HD but am trying to locate some Federal HST as the reviews I'm reading seem to favor them. Winchester also has a very well regarded hollow point - I think it's called Ranger - but I could have that wrong.

I love my XDm!

Oh - I almost forgot. I also tried some Speer Lawman but thought it was very dirty

(Allegheny County)

I buy from Dicks Sporting Goods because I get gift cards at my local GetGo and save money on fuel perks. They have Remington UMC which functions flawlessly in my XD-9 SC. They usually have a sale every few week on ammo but I have not seen it in a while, either prices are up or my girlfriend takes all the good ads out of the sunday paper so I don't see them.

As for zombie killing i would also recommend the cheapest FMJ you can find. In case of zombies remember more is better.

Now for what you really meant, personal protection. I trust Corbon DPX, it has the most reliable expansion out of all the tests I have seen. A bit expensive ~$30 for a box of 20 but carry ammo is not where you want to be frugle. Also forget Hydra-Shok's, they are crap.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Lehigh County)

I was going to create an identical thread. I want to go buy a good amount but I have only used Magtech 115 gr. I ran 100 through and they were flawless. I have to agree with Fingers, Shoot what the gun likes......

Thanks for helping me make my decision.

(Philadelphia County)

Question Re: Springfield XD-M 9mm Ammo Suggestions

i was looking into a xdm9, howis it?-is the triger improved from the first xd? also did you find that the grip inserts helped? have you had a hard time frinding extra factory mags?

(Montgomery County)

I just got an XDM 9mm at the beginning of the year. I have about 350 rounds through it so far. It's done flawlessly with 115gr PMC Bronze, 115gr CCI Blazer Brass, and 124gr Aguilla.

The PMC and the Blazer both seemed very clean. The Aguilla was a little bit dirtier, but still reliable. I'm probably not the best person to give advice on accuracy, since my personal accuracy is still not good.

9mm ammo seems very tough to find for some reason nowadays. But I ordered a case of 115gr PMC Bronze last week. I got it from Palmetto State Armory, and with shipping and all included, it worked out to about $11/box of 50, which is not a great price. But at least they had it in stock, and Palmetto seems to ship very quickly.

(Lehigh County)

Remington UMC from Dicks works well when I shot them from and XD 9mm.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Springfield XD-M 9mm Ammo Suggestions

For fun, I use Remington UMC FMJ, never had any problems. For carry, I use Winchester Black talons (Yes, THOSE Black talons) I still had some left over from the 80's.

I too have a XD 9mm SC...