Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Flattened primers

I seem to be getting flattened primers with my reloaded 223. Even low to medium loads are doing this. I do use a headspace guage and they seem fine there. Do some primers have a tendency to do this more than others? I'm using CCI 400s. I chrono my loads and am not getting excessive speeds. I haven't had any blown primers or issues with any cases. Just wondering if I should be worried. Factory loads don't seem to flatten the primers.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Flattened primers

Most likely you are flattening them when you are seating them. If you are using military brass you will have to remove the crimp. I have found LC, PMC, Fed and foreign brass have a crimp.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lancaster County)

I loaded some today and you are right about some of them. I have a dillon swager and remove the crimp but I think I need to turn it in some more. I don't want to make the primer pocket too loose though. The rounds I've been loading lately have been on the hot side as I've been trying to replicate M193. I guess I'll just keep an eye on things...

(Allegheny County)

5.56 in a 223?

(Lawrence County)

CCI 400's are hard. If you're going flat with them, then you're hot.

What powder?

Lycanhighpressurethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lancaster County)

I'm using h335. Hodgdon shows 23-25.3 loads. My Hornandy book has 23.2 for the max. I haven't gone over the Hodgdon max 25.3. Even at 23 I was seeing flattened primers and the velosities were way lower than the published rates, even allowing for my shorter barrel. Velocities aren't even close to the published rate. Some of them are being flattened by the press when pushed into the case. I have to watch how much preasure I use. I'm shooting a 5.56 16" barrel.

(Lawrence County)

It's likely the brass. You need to make sure you're using the same brass at the manual specifies.

.223/5.56 brass can vary over .5 grains of case volume. What is a safe load in one casing is way too hot in another.

LycanandPMCgoesflateasythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

I load all my LC brass with 25 gr of H335 with a 55 gr hornady FMJ-BT bullet CCI 400 primers and I never had a problem, I was getting 2950-3000 FPS with that load out of my stag model 3 16 inch barrel

(Delaware County)

I load all my LC brass with 25 gr of H335 with a 55 gr hornady FMJ-BT bullet CCI 400 primers and I never had a problem
    +1 that is the same load that I'm using. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    I'm using h335. Hodgdon shows 23-25.3 loads. My Hornandy book has 23.2 for the max. I haven't gone over the Hodgdon max 25.3. Even at 23 I was seeing flattened primers and the velosities were way lower than the published rates, even allowing for my shorter barrel. Velocities aren't even close to the published rate. Some of them are being flattened by the press when pushed into the case. I have to watch how much preasure I use. I'm shooting a 5.56 16" barrel.
    Look at the barrel lenth of the load data i thing the load data is 24 inch
    I have noticed that to H335 horandy 23.2 ?? and Hodgdon 25.3 WTF with that ??? I have noticed with hornady data has lower powder charges then other books with the same bullet weights.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Thomas Jefferson - Commonplace Book 1774-1776