Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default AOW shotties| Super shorty or KEG 12

I know there are a ton of threads on the Serbu and I'm not intersted specifcly of the merits of this type of shottie. Recently (last year or so) I saw the Safety Harbor Firearms Inc KEG 12. I've always liked the Super shorty from Serbu and figure this is just a rip of that gun. Does anyone have any pratical experience with the KEG 12, either length? Anyone had both of them next to each other? Pro's/Con's? fit/finish? Pricing is about the same and the only read visual difference I can see it the texture of the forward grip surface. Heres the links to both and their stock images. Oh and I'm not intersted in the mossburg version of the serbu... doesn't suite my tastes...

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/KEG_12/keg_12.html

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(York County)

Default Re: AOW shotties| Super shorty or KEG 12

"Based on the tried and true Remington 870© type action"
    Off their site.

It's made from a Chinese Norinco copy of the Rem.870.
    Not a real Rem 870.

I'll stick with the Surbu.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    "Based on the tried and true Remington 870© type action"
    Off their site.

It's made from a Chinese Norinco copy of the Rem.870.
    Not a real Rem 870.

I'll stick with the Surbu.

Do you have a KEG 12? have you held one first hand and read this? Just curious. I found the following from Mike "prebans" from Distinction Arms in FL and a moderator on Uzitalk. He makes NO mention of it being made on anything less than a Rem 870 frame and one would hypothesize that if that were the case then he would have stated as such.
    Buy a silencer.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Montgomery County)

Walter Keller, owner of Safety Harbor Firearms, used to WORK for Mark Serbu, and has "copied" his basic designs for the 50cal rifles, and the Serbu Shorty.

Frankly, I dont buy fuckall from people who blatantly make one off type copies of another persons idea, especially when the person making the copies used to WORK for the person they are copying.

Serbu sells a 870 version of the Shorty, I'd buy it from him, he made the first, and I'm thinking, if the SHF KEG was a Remington 870, they wouldn't have said "Remington 870 TYPE action"... *I* would have said "Remington 870 Action"... like Serbu does.

also, Mark originally went with the Mossberg because it had a triggerguard based safety...that and the lack of factory pistolgripped rem 870s...a requirement to start out with if you want to make AOWs.
    Last edited by JayBell; February 22nd, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    Walter Keller, owner of Safety Harbor Firearms, used to WORK for Mark Serbu, and has "copied" his basic designs for the 50cal rifles, and the Serbu Shorty.

Frankly, I dont buy fuckall from people who blatantly make one off type copies of another persons idea, especially when the person making the copies used to WORK for the person they are copying.

Serbu sells a 870 version of the Shorty, I'd buy it from him, he made the first, and I'm thinking, if the SHF KEG was a Remington 870, they wouldn't have said "Remington 870 TYPE action"... *I* would have said "Remington 870 Action"... like Serbu does.

also, Mark originally went with the Mossberg because it had a triggerguard based safety...that and the lack of factory pistolgripped rem 870s...a requirement to start out with if you want to make AOWs.

I'm sure you know this, but..

Remmy has the trigger guard safety. Mossy has the top tag mount.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Yep, Held 'em in my hand, just last year ('08) at SHOT, they were just down the aisle from Serbu.

At first I said to my wife, "Cool, it's just like the Serbu, maybe it's cheaper!!"

Then, while Eye-balling it, There it was, "Made in China". Heck, these are only $125.00 from Century Int. and he's got them almost the same price as a REAL Remington.

Also, any time you see the word "Type" in the description, you know it ain't "IT".

(York County)

I think JB meant the Mossberg-Maverick version.

(Centre County)

Jay, I had not realized that the owner of SHF was a previous Serbu employee and has basicly ripped the idea from his former employer. That coupled with the lack of a true Rem 870 being used completely kills the idea of the KEG for me!

Thanks everyone for your input, GunBowanna sorry for the doubt in your informaiton. Anymore there are some many people who want to input their conjecture rather than fact it's hard to sort out the fact from fiction. I appreciate your informaiton now that it is validated.
    Buy a silencer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'm sure you know this, but..

Remmy has the trigger guard safety. Mossy has the top tag mount.
    Yes, i know this.

the "Mossberg" version of the ORIGINAL Serbu Shorty is based on the Mossberg Maverick model, which has the trigger guard mounted safety.

at the time, like i said, Remington did not sell factory pistolgripped guns, so he made AOWs from the mossbergs...the $5 tax is much more attractive than the $200 SBS tax.

NOW he makes the maverick model 12ga, the standard mossberg 500 20ga that has the top tang mount safety, and the remington 870 model.

he also made 20 or so Serbu Shortys based on the 590A1 for the US Army for use in iraq

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Jay, I had not realized that the owner of SHF was a previous Serbu employee and has basicly ripped the idea from his former employer. That coupled with the lack of a true Rem 870 being used completely kills the idea of the KEG for me!

Thanks everyone for your input, GunBowanna sorry for the doubt in your informaiton. Anymore there are some many people who want to input their conjecture rather than fact it's hard to sort out the fact from fiction. I appreciate your informaiton now that it is validated.
    I've never seen Mark complain about it publicly..so it possible he gave the guy permission...but seems real weird to me.

also, already own Marks SSS and his 50cal

either way, if the gun breaks, i can get bits from mossberg, or even buy another mossberg used and get parts...if that Chinese thing breaks, what ya gonna do aide from hope regular 870 part fit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast