Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Going to a bording state with firearm.

I am in field service and sometimes working at night. If I am carrying and need to go to jersey or del and do not have a chance to run home and drop off my firearm what are my choices on taking the firearm to one of those states say unloaded etc?

Default Re: Going to a bording state with firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    I am in field service and sometimes working at night. If I am carrying and need to go to jersey or del and do not have a chance to run home and drop off my firearm what are my choices on taking the firearm to one of those states say unloaded etc?
    You can get a UT permit or a FL permit and be legal to carry concealed in DE. But don't even think of taking a gun or ammo into NJ. You cannot get any permit or license, as a non-resident, to be legal to carry there.

And a UT or FL permit will give you many other states as well.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; February 21st, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Clarified that FL permit is good in DE

(Franklin County)

Your choices:

1. Do it & commit a felony.
    2. Abide by the law and leave it behind.
    2a. For DE, you could pursue a non-resident license from a state that DE has reciprocity with (UT, for example).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Clarion County)

I don’t mean to highjack but since we are on the subject. I figured I would ask about Maryland, Ohio, and New York. I have always been told that if you need to drive into one of these states all you had to do was separate the gun from the ammo, and put them in the trunk. Preferably in a locked box. However the same people that told me that also told me that I have a canceled carry permit, and I would be arrested if a LEO ever saw my gun. So now I take everything they told me with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Chris (CMR)

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    I don’t mean to highjack but since we are on the subject. I figured I would ask about Maryland, Ohio, and New York. I have always been told that if you need to drive into one of these states all you had to do was separate the gun from the ammo, and put them in the trunk. Preferably in a locked box. However the same people that told me that also told me that I have a canceled carry permit, and I would be arrested if a LEO ever saw my gun. So now I take everything they told me with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Chris (CMR)
    Also check the FL and/or UT permits as I believe they both are honored in OH. As far as MD and NY, the gun laws are extremely unfriendly in both states and I would say that it is best not to even have the gun and ammo at all, even separated from each other.

(Franklin County)

Thanks
    Chris (CMR)
    Federal transport laws permit you to travel through (NOT to) states where state and local laws do not permit you to possess or carry firearms. They must be unloaded, and stored separately, in the trunk. If a trunk is not available (van, SUV, etc.) they must be unloaded, and stored separately, and they must be in locked containers.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Thanks
    Chris (CMR)
    You're perfectly legal to have an UNLOADED gun in your trunk in Ohio. Unloaded SPECIFICALLY includes unloaded MAGAZINES and SPEEDLOADERS. If you don't have a CCW credential recognized by Ohio, make sure your magazines or speedloaders are UNLOADED. One of the guys who posts on OCDO got in a bind that way.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Adams County)

Maryland does not honor carry permits at all from other states. Talk about a royal pain, having to load and unload in Va. to avoid getting into trouble in Maryland.

(Chester County)

Never thought about this in the past, but I shoot a lot of sporting clays and 5 stand. I always keep my shells in a compartment drawer in the back of the SUV. The compartment is the full width of the SUV and cannot be accessed unless the back hatch is open. Can't be easily be seen because I have the carpet on top. The question I have is would I be violating NJ laws if I traveled there with my shotgun shells in the compartment. No shotgun, just shells. Also, assuming I am stopped for a traffic violation, would I be within my rights not to consent to a search of my vehicle? Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but need to know.
    Last edited by NickDFAL; April 6th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NickDFAL View Post
    The question I have is would I be violating NJ laws if I traveled there with my shotgun shells in the compartment.
    The ammo comment was directed at people who carry Hollowpoint ammunition which, save for a few exceptions, is illegal to posses in NJ.

Also, assuming I am stopped for a traffic violation, would I be within my rights not to consent to a search of my vehicle?
    If the officer has to ASK you if he can search your vehicle, you are well within your rights to refuse. They will then threaten you with various illegal things to try and coerce you into allowing them to search, but it comes down to this: If they really had Probable Cause to get a Warrant to Search, they wouldn't be asking your permission.

Remember, don't talk to the police! (Both links are the same video)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...G5KurgLVwJTeBw
    http://www.pisnnapalm.com/031408_DontTalktoPolice.wmv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast